home made macro light .

machine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just a briff history on me , i dont know much about photography yet but i man a craffty person and love thinking of this to make . Well after seeing some of the prices of macro lights i though i might try to make one .

this is jst the first stage and will build it up more as long as i dont hit a bunch of snags

heres a pic of the ring i used (i work at an electronics store and have those for mounting speakers)
DSC00656.jpg

i just drilled out the holes to fit some LED's in .

DSC00655.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

the biggest issue im having right now is i need to put more leds in to get better coverage , plus i need to defuse the light somehow so its not so direct .it works great in darkness but in light its hard to tell its on

Pretty cool idea, You could probably use a reflector of a bike or one of those white posts from the side of the road as a diffuser. :)

I've seen something similar advertised in a magazine or somewhere...I don't remember exactly but I think the LCD macro ring light I've seen, had a tube (like a lens hood but white) out past the lights. You could then set the whole thing over top of the subject. Kind of like creating a tiny light tent.

I found this link http://www.brainerror.net/texts_macroring_en.php

It's tedious as hell but you could use fine sandpaper on the LEDs to frost 'em. I made a set of moonlights for my aquarium using high-intensity LEDs and did the same thing.

Alternatively, you could try the chemical approach. Some solvents can frost plastic. You might also try placing one in a plastic bag with a small open dish of super glue. Cyanoacrylate fumes will really frost some plastics. I've never tried it with LEDs, though.

good idea , i havent had time to make the newer version . i do need a smaller grouping to foucus more on smaller objects but work is tireing this time of year lol . ill keep it updated though

That does look pretty cool. As you say some more LEDs might be a good idea. Adding an small angled ring aroung the outside of the lights and covering it with reflective tape might help to diffuse the light.

Most reactions

Back