What's new

Home-made pens photographed for C&C

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
159
Location
Boca Raton, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

these are a few home-made pens and their "product photos".

Looking for some advice on better product photography for these pens (and other items that I make).

Thanks so much,

Looking forward to your replies.

Bruce

1.
$European Filligree Pen - Cocobolo Wood - 2-2.webp



2.
$European Filligree Pen - Cocobolo Wood - In wooden case-2.webp



3.
$Jr Gents II - Cocobolo wood - 24K gold Plating - 2-2.webp



4.
$Jr Gents II - Cocobolo wood - 24K gold Plating - no case - 2-2.webp



5.
$Jr Gents II - Cocobolo wood - 24K gold Plating - no case-2.webp



6.
$Jr Gents II - Cocobolo wood - 24K gold Plating-2.webp



7.
$Majestic Rollerball Pen - Rhodium Black Titanium Plating - Bocote wood - 4.webp



8.
$Majestic Rollerball Pen - Rhodium Black Titanium Plating - Bocote wood - 5-2.webp



9.
$Majestic Rollerball Pen - Rhodium Black Titanium Plating - Bocote wood-2.webp
 
I am not a product photographer but I can say that these are very nice especially the filigree. Our neighbour across the road used to make some of these and gave one to my husband for his birthday years ago with this name on it...very personal.
 
Very pretty pens! The only photograph that gives me pause is #5 because the horizontal position is somewhat static. Other than that, some shadows are seen on the backdrop, but overall very good.
 
I am not a product photographer but I can say that these are very nice especially the filigree. Our neighbour across the road used to make some of these and gave one to my husband for his birthday years ago with this name on it...very personal.

Thanks IzzieK.
 
Very pretty pens! The only photograph that gives me pause is #5 because the horizontal position is somewhat static. Other than that, some shadows are seen on the backdrop, but overall very good.

Thanks Designer,

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of #5. As for the shadows, I could clean them up, but I felt they gave a slight depth to the photos (or maybe I was just too lazy :D).
 
I can't really help you on the product photo improvement, they look good to me. But, I will say that that fountain pen, you should just send to me for product testing, lol
 
I can't really help you on the product photo improvement, they look good to me. But, I will say that that fountain pen, you should just send to me for product testing, lol

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the C&C.
I must say, I am extremely impressed with the quality of the nibs. I gave one of these to my sister's father-in-law who is a pen oficionado, and he told me that these are some of the smoothest writing nibs he has seen, and he has very expensive pens in his collection.
 
They are well done, tighty. From a client standpoint, however, one would like to see some close ups. After all, the details are what sets this product apart, wouldn't you agree? Same set up would suffice, just move in.
 
I sort of did a 'article' on HDR for the IAP photography section that has seen quite a bit of admiration(disclaimer, I'm not a PRO at hdr...it just works for products somewhat better from my 'limited' experience). Don't over process the image if doing HDR, it will do you no good, and the customer receiving the 'item' will be disappointed also.


BTW, as a fellow penturner...nicely done! Was wondering if you actually sell a lot of 'wood' fountain pens(I find that the acrylic pen blanks the wife makes for the website generates better sales for us in the 'fountain side'....wood rules in rollerball though)? Love your finishes on them too!!!






Scott (slabsblanksandboards) B
 
They are well done, tighty. From a client standpoint, however, one would like to see some close ups. After all, the details are what sets this product apart, wouldn't you agree? Same set up would suffice, just move in.

Thanks keyseddie.

Makes a lot of sense. I'll try it and post them at a later date.
 
I sort of did a 'article' on HDR for the IAP photography section that has seen quite a bit of admiration(disclaimer, I'm not a PRO at hdr...it just works for products somewhat better from my 'limited' experience). Don't over process the image if doing HDR, it will do you no good, and the customer receiving the 'item' will be disappointed also.


BTW, as a fellow penturner...nicely done! Was wondering if you actually sell a lot of 'wood' fountain pens(I find that the acrylic pen blanks the wife makes for the website generates better sales for us in the 'fountain side'....wood rules in rollerball though)? Love your finishes on them too!!!






Scott (slabsblanksandboards) B

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments.

I would love to see what type of things you guys do.
The truth is, I am just getting back into woodturning after a 4 year hiatus.
These pens were made with some of the extra wood I brought from the USA when I moved to Israel.
I am now about to start a new "enterprise" of selling pens and other wooden crafts using wood specifically found in different parts of the Israel, mostly olive wood from the groves on our farm. That plus photos of Israel.
I will have to see how it goes.
I use the Hut Crystal Coat liquid friction finish, and I really like it.
HUT Crystal Coat- 6oz-hutproducts.com
 
I sort of did a 'article' on HDR for the IAP photography section that has seen quite a bit of admiration(disclaimer, I'm not a PRO at hdr...it just works for products somewhat better from my 'limited' experience). Don't over process the image if doing HDR, it will do you no good, and the customer receiving the 'item' will be disappointed also.


BTW, as a fellow penturner...nicely done! Was wondering if you actually sell a lot of 'wood' fountain pens(I find that the acrylic pen blanks the wife makes for the website generates better sales for us in the 'fountain side'....wood rules in rollerball though)? Love your finishes on them too!!!






Scott (slabsblanksandboards) B

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments.

I would love to see what type of things you guys do.
The truth is, I am just getting back into woodturning after a 4 year hiatus.
These pens were made with some of the extra wood I brought from the USA when I moved to Israel.
I am now about to start a new "enterprise" of selling pens and other wooden crafts using wood specifically found in different parts of the Israel, mostly olive wood from the groves on our farm. That plus photos of Israel.
I will have to see how it goes.
I use the Hut Crystal Coat liquid friction finish, and I really like it.
HUT Crystal Coat- 6oz-hutproducts.com



You could always just sell the Olivewood to folks in the USoA, they eat that stuff at seriously high prices!(enough said about that)

Looking forward to seeing some photo's from your new home!





Scott (wish the grass would dry out) B
 
Hi Scott,

I've thought about that also, and I have to start seasoning the wood blanks now, to be able to sell them at some time in the future.
 
You could always just sell the Olivewood to folks in the USoA, they eat that stuff at seriously high prices!

With the current state of our government, I think we can't import raw wood into the US. It has to be a finished product as I understand the rule.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom