What's new

Home-made pens photographed for C&C

You could always just sell the Olivewood to folks in the USoA, they eat that stuff at seriously high prices!

With the current state of our government, I think we can't import raw wood into the US. It has to be a finished product as I understand the rule.

Interesting. I wonder if this includes wood that is seasoned and coated in wax. I know I used to buy my olive wood blanks from Israel, on Amazon.com.
 
Do they look like they're floating? What background would you have used?
 
I actually like the minimalist background-it brings attention directly to the product. Anyway, I like the poses, but what are you using for light? It might be my monitor, but the light looks a little harsh. Maybe a softbox would help?
 
I actually like the minimalist background-it brings attention directly to the product. Anyway, I like the poses, but what are you using for light? It might be my monitor, but the light looks a little harsh. Maybe a softbox would help?

Thanks minicoop,

I used a technique for simple product photography, that generally works very well. In this case, I agree that a softbox would have helped.
Next time I guess:)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
 
The pens are nice but 'floating in mid-air'; that seems an inhospitable setting.

I agree. The pens might be better displayed on a nice wiring desk along with some other typical writing-desk accessories. Paper, spectacles, inkwell, miniature globe, magnifying glass, scissors, or whatever you can find. Also different lighting if you do.
 
The pens are nice but 'floating in mid-air'; that seems an inhospitable setting.

I agree. The pens might be better displayed on a nice wiring desk along with some other typical writing-desk accessories. Paper, spectacles, inkwell, miniature globe, magnifying glass, scissors, or whatever you can find. Also different lighting if you do.

Thanks designer,

Sounds good :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
 

Wife poured PR swirled blank.


Timber is Southern Red Oak, milled by me!

Just a regular light tent. Sony a350 w/Sigma 50mm macro. HDR'd without over doing it....the finish is the hardest part to deal with when photo'ing pens. The first one(PR) is highly polished to a mirror finish(but you can either get the swirls or the finish), and the SRO is buffed down to make the timber feel more like timber(easier to photo the grain structure).




Scott (I like wood) B
 
I like them a lot.

Wish that my knife photo's came out so well.
 

Wife poured PR swirled blank.


Timber is Southern Red Oak, milled by me!

Just a regular light tent. Sony a350 w/Sigma 50mm macro. HDR'd without over doing it....the finish is the hardest part to deal with when photo'ing pens. The first one(PR) is highly polished to a mirror finish(but you can either get the swirls or the finish), and the SRO is buffed down to make the timber feel more like timber(easier to photo the grain structure).




Scott (I like wood) B

Hi Scott,
Both beautifully done. Photos too.
Do you have a website?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
 
I agree with all here, the pens look great, seriously well done..
The photo's, or the setup you used does work, as has been mentioned earlier, I think you'd do well to include a few "detail" shots and maybe try alternate background colors and see how they work. With the shots above, i think even tightening the crop on the photo or moving closer and cutting some of the dead space around would help a little, just my opinion.

The lighting, other than what's already been said, for me is ok, you're sure on the right track with that setup and what you're looking to achieve, but, experiment a little more, distance, color, lighting and see which best presents the product for you.
The above said, this takes nothing away from the photo's you have taken here, I am not a product photographer and best of luck with the new venture!
 
A black background might make these pop a bit more. The white background makes them feel a bit washed out and even underexposed - particularly in 7, 8, and 9.
 
Agree with above, a black or darker background would draw more attention to the pens. Try posing them with some dark objects on a dark background (the objects and background should blend with each other more or less). The poses should give the pens more motion or "personality", while the dark background will give the pens more space and let the eyes see more detail.

Try some different perspectives as well as the poses, they can do quite a bit for the feel of the pens.
 
I really like these! However, number one, two and five have a hair above the pen. It's driving me nuts!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom