Home Setup C&C

fsquare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's one shot from the set. Haven't had a chance to touch the rest up.

For most of the shots I moved the lighting around. For this one I used butterfly lighting with a 42" silver reflector on her lap.

C&C on the lighting, posing etc etc would be appreciated.

Even though i used a tripod, i find the shots kind of soft. Opinions?

6598045005_bbba8818ab_b.jpg

6598336605_0efe51e9e3_z.jpg

Last edited:
The lighting is REALLY harsh on the face. What are you using as your diffuser?
The pose is typical headshot for website or similar. Focus looks like it's falling to the back of your subject a bit.

For this shot i was using a shoot through umbrella with my main light set to 1/4 power about 2-3 feet away from the model and about 7 feet up.

i added a second

It looks overexposed and flat. Lighting isn't just used to help with exposure, it's also used to add depth. You've positioned the light source just barely to the subjects right. This in combination of the reflector in her lap kills a lot of the depth. Particularly, the reflector in the lap is making her chin blend right in with her neck.

...and overexposed. I don't understand your use of a tripod. If you're going through the trouble to set up, screw around with lighting, shoot, post, etc, then why not have your model get hair and makeup...seems like a bit of a waste if you are striving for results.

...and overexposed. I don't understand your use of a tripod. If you're going through the trouble to set up, screw around with lighting, shoot, post, etc, then why not have your model get hair and makeup...seems like a bit of a waste if you are striving for results.

At this point, the models look is of very little importance to me. What i am striving for now is to get a better understanding of lighting and posing.

It looks overexposed and flat. Lighting isn't just used to help with exposure, it's also used to add depth. You've positioned the light source just barely to the subjects right. This in combination of the reflector in her lap kills a lot of the depth. Particularly, the reflector in the lap is making her chin blend right in with her neck.

Thanks, i'll give it another go. So i'm figuring i'm better off going with my main light at 45 degree from the subject and a reflector 90 degrees to her left? I tried that as well..i'll have to check the shots.

I have plenty of light (speedlights, modifiers, stands) but i am just trying to get it right with one light before adding more. I find this will help me in the long run.

Since you have the lights, you might want to try adding a kicker in the back as well.

go on youtube and search for lighting ratios. Your lighting should sculpt your subject and not simply light them.

How large was the shoot through ? How close was the flash to the umbrella? Was the flash zoomed?

try adding a pop on diffuser (OEM / Stofen) to the flash as well as the umbrella.. soften the light some before it ever hits the modifier! Also.. take a shot of the umbrella as it goes off (from the subjects POV)... shoot it dead on and look for hot spots... should be nice and even (although shoot throughs are the most likely to hot-spot.. nature of the beast!)

Also remember the LARGER the light source, the softer the light... if you are using a 33", throw it away and get a 60"! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. Time is limited but I plan to have another go at it this week.

How large was the shoot through ? How close was the flash to the umbrella? Was the flash zoomed?

try adding a pop on diffuser (OEM / Stofen) to the flash as well as the umbrella.. soften the light some before it ever hits the modifier! Also.. take a shot of the umbrella as it goes off... shoot it dead on and look for hot spots... should be nice and even (although shoot throughs are the most likely to hot-spot.. nature of the beast!)

Also remember the LARGER the light source, the softer the light... if you are using a 33", throw it away and get a 60"! :)

Yup, the shoot through was a 33" and the flash was as close to the umbrella that I could get it. The flash was zoomed to 34mm if i am not mistaken and set at 1/4 power. Thanks! I'm actually looking at picking up a Westcott Apollo 28x28 softbox.

Thanks for all the help guys. Time is limited but I plan to have another go at it this week.

try adding a pop on diffuser (OEM / Stofen) to the flash as well as the umbrella.. soften the light some before it ever hits the modifier! Also.. take a shot of the umbrella as it goes off... shoot it dead on and look for hot spots... should be nice and even (although shoot throughs are the most likely to hot-spot.. nature of the beast!)

Yup, the shoot through was a 33" and the flash was as close to the umbrella that I could get it. The flash was zoomed to 34mm if i am not mistaken and set at 1/4 power. Thanks! I'm actually looking at picking up a Westcott Apollo 28x28 softbox.

the flash should be as far away from the umbrella as you can get it (while still on the stand/adapter).. you want the whole umbrella lit. A close flash will overpower the umbrella material, and light it up so bright it won't soften the light at all. Zoom the flash out as wide as it will go also.. 24, 28, etc...

I would stay with the umbrella until you get it down.. if you keep changing modifiers, you will never master them. Softbox is totally different from a shoot through, much more directional, more light loss.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back