Home stereo USB input suggestions, please

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a pretty good home stereo, I'm running two Adcom GFA555 II's bridged into mono, a Denon pre-amp and CD player who's make I can't remember right now. For anyone who's wondering, I have a pair of very efficient Klipsch F30's which will peel the paint off the walls when called upon to do so.

What I want to do is play MP3's via a USB stick and need some sort of interface that will put out a high quality audio signal to my pre-amp.

All I've been able to find is a DAC like this https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...rds=cambridge+audio+dac&qid=1607537194&sr=8-3

But this requires something like an iPod or other MP3 player to feed the digital data to the DAC.

What I would really like is a single component that will take the USB input, provide some form of interface to see the play list, jump around in the list should I choose to do so, and output a high quality audio signal.

Does anyone know if something like this actually exists or am I forced to go the MP3 player + DAC route?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't you burn disks from your computer? You might have to convert the MP3's in the computer from the USB stick to something beside MP3 depending on the disc player specs. There are a lot of free programs on the internet that convert formats.

Can't you burn disks from your computer? You might have to convert the MP3's in the computer from the USB stick to something beside MP3 depending on the disc player specs. There are a lot of free programs on the internet that convert formats.

Thanks for answering.
I've done that lots of times. My CD player will not recognize anything other than audio files so burning a CD with MP3's won't work. A CD will only hold roughly 70 minutes of music in audio file format and part of what I would like to accomplish is having hours of music on hand like you can with a MP3 player. I just want it through my stereo.

iPod, (or similar), with an 3.5mm phono to RCA splitter to send the output to stereo RCA input. Some iPod/mp3 players might have a USB jack for loading files

You will still need an mp3 player which could be your phone or tablet.

My answer (for me) after a lot of research: ripped all 300+ CDs at high quality. Used ITunes, then transferred it all to a new IPod touch. Bought 3.5 to RCA cord, hooked up the touch to audio in on my Yamaha amp. No WiFi, no computer, only one type of software. I was told in order to use a thumb drive I would have to also connect my TV so I could have a screen to see what’s playing etc.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Personally I'd run a tablet with the audio software through some thing like an Audiolab M-DAC or M-One.
This allows you to have touchscreen control as well as a decent DAC with multiple outputs and sound profiles settings you can adjust to your liking. As well some tablets can be remotely controlled by your phone or a remote.

P.S. good call on the Klipsch. I used to run a pair of La Scala's. They were the best things I ever hear music through.

Edit: The Schiit Audio Modi DAC seems like a quality unit if you don't need the sound profile adjustability.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
P.S. good call on the Klipsch. I used to run a pair of La Scala's. They were the best things I ever hear music through.

Edit: The Schiit Audio Modi DAC seems like a quality unit if you don't need the sound profile adjustability.

The F30's do a good job when pushed hard but I don't think they are as accurate and balanced as my old speakers. Those were a custom-made pair I bought from an audiophile/electrical engineer/carpenter I used to work with.

I have yet to decide but I'm toying with the idea of building a pair of these: Do It Yourself: 88-41 Kit

I have a design for a simple switching system that would allow me to have both pair and play the F30's when I want to mimic the old Memorex ad and the second pair for more critical listening.

My next door neighbor gave me a bunch of Akai system a few months ago. It belonged to his father-in-law. It has 2 reel to reel tape decks, an 8 track tape deck, a cassette tape deck, a linear turntable, receiver, and 2 Kenwood speakers. There were more than 10 reels of recorded music from the 40s to the early 80s. What a neat gift.

20200912_075524.jpg

My next door neighbor gave me a bunch of Akai system a few months ago. It belonged to his father-in-law. It has 2 reel to reel tape decks, an 8 track tape deck, a cassette tape deck, a linear turntable, receiver, and 2 Kenwood speakers. There were more than 10 reels of recorded music from the 40s to the early 80s. What a neat gift.

View attachment 201119

It's a shame reel-to-reel decks are so cumbersome to use, a good one has amazing performance.
I haven't used my cassette deck in many years and, last year, I gave my daughter all my old vinyl LP's for Christmas.

When I was in the USAF in 1965, I bought an Akai reel-to-reel when I was stationed in Japan. I had it for years along with the rest of my system. But like the rest of us, it got old and obsolete. :) That's a nice system Scott. Enjoy it. You might want to check the speakers. I found my old Acoustic Research speakers eventually lost their woofers. They do age from the vibrations so the fidelity might not be as good as they once were.

When I was in the USAF in 1965, I bought an Akai reel-to-reel when I was stationed in Japan. I had it for years along with the rest of my system. But like the rest of us, it got old and obsolete. :) That's a nice system Scott. Enjoy it. You might want to check the speakers. I found my old Acoustic Research speakers eventually lost their woofers. They do age from the vibrations so the fidelity might not be as good as they once were.

Which AR's? I seem to remember the AR9's were very desirable when I was a kid.
Do you mean the foam that surrounds the cone?
That wasn't uncommon and there are tons of kits available to re-foam most drivers. I've done it before and it is not very difficult at all.

AR2a speakers. I didn't try to repair. I figured I got about 40 years of service from them. Plus I had discarded the stereo equipment which included a Fisher Stratokit preamp/amp I built around 1960, with tubes, along with a receiver, the Akai tape player recorder and Garrard record player. I should have kept it all. They'd probably be worth a lot like an old Leica. :)

Most reactions

Back