Home stereo USB input suggestions, please

My first component stereo was a Hafler DH200 amp and DH100 pre-amp. I didn't build them but I bought them from the guy who did.

I don't know about the electronics but old AR speakers seem to have some value out there.

I priced the pieces I have and I could get between $2500 & $3000 for them if I pieced them out. No way am I going to sell them. I'm looking for 8 track tapes from the 70s. I have bunches of cassettes.

The Kenwood speakers are working just fine. I would like to add a few tweeters for the high end.

I priced the pieces I have and I could get between $2500 & $3000 for them if I pieced them out. No way am I going to sell them. I'm looking for 8 track tapes from the 70s. I have bunches of cassettes.

The Kenwood speakers are working just fine. I would like to add a few tweeters for the high end.

I can't read the model number of the bigger reel-to-reel but I suspect it has specs that are quite good. Some of the better reel-to-reel decks had better s/n specs (when using good tape and the highest speeds) that rivaled the electronics.

I had a car-stereo cassette deck in my garage, hooked up to a PC power supply, to play my old tapes through. But eventually the tapes all bound up and I tossed them in favor of playing CD's and MP3's out there.

I'm also old enough to have owned several 8-track players and I mostly remember the tapes being problematic.

@RVT1K You may want to look into this

Bowers & Wilkins - Formation Audio Streaming Media Player

I just got one for my Marantz A - B set up from Best Buy...I haven't received it yet or else I would tell you how much I like it or not....

Cheers,

Enezdez

@RVT1K You may want to look into this

Bowers & Wilkins - Formation Audio Streaming Media Player

I just got one for my Marantz A - B set up from Best Buy...I haven't received it yet or else I would tell you how much I like it or not....

Cheers,

Enezdez

I already have this on the way: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

My next step is to decide on what interface. Someone I work with suggested a Kindle Fire and I'll be taking a look.

I'm still researching for something to use as a digital source (leaning towards a tablet of some sort) but I decided that my carpentry skills and equipment were not good enough to build a pair so I bought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM604 S3 locally from Craigslist. They have better imaging than the Klipsch pair and I think vocals and strings -like acoustic guitars- sound better. My take is that the B&W's dedicated mid-range driver and non-horn tweeters are the main reasons.
I currently have all four hooked up, the Adcoms can handle low impedance loads and throw a ton of current. I'm waiting on some parts to build a set of switches that will allow either/or/both listening. The B&W's for the Grateful Dead and the Klipsch's for Metallica.

20201224_173655.jpg

Here's my stack. Two Adcom GFA 555 II's each with a Aircom S10 to keep cool, Denon pre-amp, Technics tuner, and a plain-Jane JVC CD player.

That's the Schiit DAC sitting on top waiting for some input. My satellite receiver has an optical output for audio and as soon as I get a cable.

20201231_074245.jpg

Most reactions

Back