Home Studio Ideas??

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I've had my Canon Rebel XS for about a year now. I've done a few "photoshoots" but only with family, so there was no anxiety or nervousness whatsoever. I know of a couple of people who do photo sessions then edit the photos and give out a CD of all the pics. They charge from $50-$75 a session (CD included). I don't know these people personally or I would ask them. But I would like to start doing photo sessions like these part time. I just graduated and work as an x-ray tech part time as well.

The few shoots I have done so far have been outside and I haven't any problems with lighting. But I would like to set up a "mini" studio, if you will, in my house. I'm thinking black and white backgrounds. Can anyone suggest what type of equipment I would need? I've done a little research and I'm thinking at least 1 or 2 lights, an umbrella or softbox, a background stand, light stands??? Any suggestions are much appreciated!! After some reading, I think seamless paper may be the way to go for me. Or maybe muslin backdrops, but I don't want to have to worry about getting wrinkles out. Also, I am all about homemade materials if anyone has any ideas, I'm thinking PVC for my background stands maybe?? Not sure if this matters but I have the Rebel XS kit lens (18-55mm) and the Nifty Fifty (f1.8). Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments!

BTW, I thought about just asking around at work, family, friends, etc. and asking for anyone who wanted a free photoshoot. Then once I get really comfortable and get some more experience under my belt THEN I could start charging a small sitting fee. Thanks again!

With proper lighting you can make a white backdrop grey or black. You can eliminate winkles in either white or black with proper lighting also. Alot of photographers will use paper but it is used up. Muslin can be washed, washed again and died over and over for a cheaper price imo. There are all sorts of diy ideas, just google them,
As far as free photoshoots, I would charge $100 per hour and if it's for you port/practice discount it $100 for the first session. Discount eliminated second time around.

I would consider a grey background color. Savage has "Thunder Gray" seamless paper for $47 a roll (107" x 12yds) at B&H. The reason for grey is because you can automatically have three different colored backgrounds with the one product. Over expose it for white, underexpose for black and leave it alone for grey. Add some gels to your background lights and you can have any color you want.

Thanks for the advice vtf! Can you elaborate any on how to make a white background grey or black using proper lighting?

Thank you kundalini! I keep hearing everyone talking about these gels. Where would I find those?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back