Homeless Vietnam Veteran

BWChronos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As of this week I am trying to get into photojournalism. I figured the best way to get experience would be to jump in head first, so I hit the streets of downtown Phoenix AZ. I spoke with a lot of people, this guy had an interesting story. He did three tours in Vietnam and was awarded the Purple Heart for getting shot in the chest. He ended up with PSD after witnessing his best friend get torn in half by a "bouncing betty" and hasn't been normal since. I snapped a couple pics of him, with his permission. Please critique!

This was taken under a freeway overpass.
100 ISO 1/125 f/5.6 w/ a nikkor 18-55mm lens.

ry%3D400

his face needs a little more exposure. But I like the background and your composition. try the camera positioned vertical, portrair. (you could do that in PP by re cropping)

I'm with Supraman, he is very dark. Looks like you got sharp focus and the background is not distracting. Load up Photoshop and add some exposure to him and I think it would be a good shot

Thanks for the comments. I was feeling really bad about asking for this guy's pic, so I did it kind of rushed/was shooting in jpeg instead of RAW, unfortunately, or I could do more for the darkness. I'll see if I can't lighten up his face a little more.

This photo has a lot of emotion in it, especially with the story you shared behind it. Of course, most things related to the military will always have a soft spot in my heart since my hubby is in the Army. Some of them really have been through hell and back:(

His eyes are really the key element of this photo.

Most reactions

Back