Homemade step up/down rings?

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does any one have any ideas as to how i can make my own step up/down rings? My dad has some old 49mm filters and i just need them to fit into a 52mm thread.

They only cost around $12...just buy one.

Ya
Unless you wanna get one machine for alot more just buy one

lol its really just the effort. i have to travel half an hour to the nearest store that carries them. i dont own a car, i was just wondering if there were any well known tricks for this type of thing. i googled it and came up with nothing. so i decided to post.

Thanks anyways guys

The only thing I can think of that would be cheaper than just buying one is to tape the filter on.

lol its really just the effort. i have to travel half an hour to the nearest store that carries them. i dont own a car, i was just wondering if there were any well known tricks for this type of thing. i googled it and came up with nothing. so i decided to post.

Thanks anyways guys

Ebay is your friend

If effort is the only thing stopping you, just go to B&H and order some. Probably be a lot less effort than it was to make a thread about it...lol.

Size may also be stopping you, some extremes are not available. But given that I just bought one off ebay for $5 I think it would be cheaper to buy the ring, than the parts needed to make one.

Now that said. If you want to step up a 49mm filter to a 52mm thread you WILL get vignetting. Step UP filters are very rare for this reason. So To make one I suggest. Cardboard, gaffer tape, and creativity.

And remember the simple rules of DIY: If it doesn't fit force it, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back