Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me identifying these birds.
They were all taken in a natural reserve in Indiana.

Thanks so much in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 138
My guesses:
1. House Finch
2. Goldfinch
3. ?
4.Grey Jay
5.Downy Woodpecker??

1. House Finch
2. Goldfinch
3. I'm not sure but, might think it's an immature Brown Headed Cowbird
4. Tufted Titmouse is what I would consider this one.
5. Is hard to say. It's either a Downy Woodpecker (smaller in size Finchish) or a Hairy Woodpecker ( about the size of a Robin)

My 2 cents on the possible IDs.

#1 we call "purple finch" around here.
#2 Eastern Goldfinch (probably female)
#3 ?
#4 Tufted Titmouse
#5 ?

National Audubon Society

#3 ?
#4 Tufted Titmouse
#5 ?

National Audubon Society

1. NOT a purple finch, definitely a male House Finch. A Purple Finch would have more color in its wings, plus the color is just deeper and different. I could never tell them apart--until I actually SAW a Purple Finch. Now, I can almost always tell. But many, many people call House Finches Purple Finches.
2. American Goldfinch. I'd say male in nonbreeding color
3. shefjr is right, Brown-Headed Cowbird. Not sure if it's immature or female, but it's definitely a Cowbird.
4. Tufted Titmouse
5. REALLY tough to determine whether a Hairy or Downy from the front like that. Besides the size, mentioned by shefjr, the other really good, consistent identifier to tell the difference is the length of the beak. Downy Woodpeckers have very short beaks; Hairy Woodpeckers have beaks that are nearly as long as their heads. I'm going to say this is a Downy, based on two factors:
--Even though the view is straight-on, that beak looks shortish, and the bird itself looks smaller than what I'd expect from a Hairy (though I don't know the diameter of the branch for scale)
--Downys are far more likely to let you get that close of a look at them. Hairys *tend* to be more skittish and *tend* to stay up higher and more hidden in the trees.

1. Harry
2. Joe
3. Leroy
4. Samuel
5. Billy's brother (sorry, I can't recall his name).

#3 ?
#4 Tufted Titmouse
#5 ?

National Audubon Society

1. NOT a purple finch, definitely a male House Finch. A Purple Finch would have more color in its wings, plus the color is just deeper and different. I could never tell them apart--until I actually SAW a Purple Finch. Now, I can almost always tell. But many, many people call House Finches Purple Finches.
2. American Goldfinch. I'd say male in nonbreeding color
3. shefjr is right, Brown-Headed Cowbird. Not sure if it's immature or female, but it's definitely a Cowbird.
4. Tufted Titmouse
5. REALLY tough to determine whether a Hairy or Downy from the front like that. Besides the size, mentioned by shefjr, the other really good, consistent identifier to tell the difference is the length of the beak. Downy Woodpeckers have very short beaks; Hairy Woodpeckers have beaks that are nearly as long as their heads. I'm going to say this is a Downy, based on two factors:
--Even though the view is straight-on, that beak looks shortish, and the bird itself looks smaller than what I'd expect from a Hairy (though I don't know the diameter of the branch for scale)
--Downys are far more likely to let you get that close of a look at them. Hairys *tend* to be more skittish and *tend* to stay up higher and more hidden in the trees.
Thank you to everyone who replied. You were all a great help.
Based upon the "GOOGLE" (capitalized on purpose to show Google's grandiose stature) I would agree with both Shefjr and sm4him that 3 is a Brown Headed Cowbird, and almost definitely female.
As for 5, I'm sure sm4him is correct for a number of reasons. 1. All the woodpeckers I saw had shorter beaks, and 2. they were also very small in stature.
As for them being skittish, and not getting close to them, I was a using tamron 150-500 mm lens at 500mm. So I wasn't all that close :),although I felt like I could touch it. Like being a sniper, "reach out and touch someone".

Most reactions

Back