What's new

Horses in studio light

I think I could move the umbrellas much closer to the horses. I'm pretty sure that is one of my issues. They are far because the horses tend to move a lot so I don't want them getting knocked over. There was actually a heavy rain and wind storm during the first session, so the horse were a bit nervous because of that (part of the reason for holding the reins out of the frame).

So, if we work on the sand arena next time and they are being fairly co-operative, I will trying moving them up much closer. I'd say I had them about 5ft away from the horses, which I'm pretty sure is fairly far. Also, would using the umbrellas with the reflector on be better than shoot-through? I think I'm going to have to go re-read some articles.

No move the horse nearer to the light, always set up lights and walk horse towards them
 
No move the horse nearer to the light, always set up lights and walk horse towards them


That's what I meant........ really ;)

Ok. So when it warms up, I will bring the kit over and do another shoot. Until then I will have to find other things to photograph!
 
I admit I have a horse phobia. They always seem to be up to no good.
 
Got to drive my partner and her horse to a hunt Sunday so should have some shot next week (all on film)
 
I really like number three, although the stance of the horse was a bit weird for me.
Have you thought about going slightly more low key like the image below. This was your third image. I gave it a square format, and masked out the rest of the horses body. And increased the curves along with a B&W conversion.

$lacewp6_zpsfc2350d9.webp
 
Last edited:
I did the first time around but because I am new at using lights, didn't quite get the effect I was going for. I do like that edit, though and I will just have to read more and practice more. My cats are even less cooperative when it comes to practicing my photography... so I will have beg some friends or maybe find somebody with a really large dog!

This is the one shot I got that I liked, although, I think it's not quite detailed enough

Jake16b_zps3a26485d.jpg


(Photobucket makes it look even more awful)

Also, every program I look at these photos on makes it look differently exposed. Photoshop, windows gallery, the Macbook... a little annoying.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom