Hot Bulbs

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a proof of concept based on a video I saw recently here on TPF. The shot was setup using a 200 watt incandescent bulb, a mirror, and a sparkler. The mirror was laid flat, a blob of granddaughters play dough was used to set the bulb upright in and a blob of the same stuff used to mount the sparkler directly behind. You want the sparkler fairly close for this, but not touching. For anyone who might try this, I have a couple of suggestions. First the sparkler I used was one of the large multi-color ones (only thing we still had left), the powder was inside a tube taped to a stick. The problem with it was it changed to much during the burn both in color and intensity, second the sparks it kicked out always went to one side. If I were to do it again, I'd use the plain wire sparklers as they throw out a more uniform cone of sparks. Second, don't use a cheap mirror from Walmart. Apparently they're not glass, so I now have divots in the mirror from the sparks.

Other then that it was pretty straight forward. I used manual focus to set the focal point on the bulb element. I had to play around a little to get the exposure. I basically started off with the aperture at f/11, then played with the shutter till I got an almost black image, with just some hints of the bulb. Once I started I opted to change the aperture to f/13, for a little deeper DOF. Final was shot at f/13, ISO 100, 1.6. All in all it was quick, fun little project.

Hot Bulb.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

hot bulb 2.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Nice reflection. Awesome capture. =]

Good tips. Colourful pictures. The bulbs look slightly off kilter, maybe just the way they were seated on the play dough.

I might give this a go in the near future.

Last edited:
Good tips. Colourful pictures. The bulbs look slightly off kilter, maybe just the way they were seated on the pay dough.

This was one of those go with what you have projects. The play dough worked for the sparkler, but the bulb being heavier needs something more substantial. Like the comment about the mirror "should be real glass", I suspect that another type of putty would work better.

Good tips. Colourful pictures. The bulbs look slightly off kilter, maybe just the way they were seated on the pay dough.

This was one of those go with what you have projects. The play dough worked for the sparkler, but the bulb being heavier needs something more substantial. Like the comment about the mirror "should be real glass", I suspect that another type of putty would work better.

Yeah, as you say it's a suck it and see and great fun I assume trying these things.

I have some Mastic putty I used for resealing a window in my Motorhome (RV) I had a water ingress issue with which I had remove and reinstall.

It's quite a hard and firm but still pliable substance. I wonder if something like this would be worth a go.

Yeah, as you say it's a suck it and see and great fun I assume trying these things.

I have some Mastic putty I used for resealing a window in my Motorhome (RV) I had a water ingress issue with which I had remove and reinstall.

It's quite a hard and firm but still pliable substance. I wonder if something like this would be worth a go.

Using what you have is the way to go, if it doesn't work out you can blame it on the material you used. :biglaugh:

Using what you have is the way to go, if it doesn't work out you can blame it on the material you used. :biglaugh:

This is so true;)

Awesome shots! Is there any way to add a little ripple water effect in the reflection, I think it might be nice to break up the uniformity of the reflection a bit.

Awesome shots! Is there any way to add a little ripple water effect in the reflection, I think it might be nice to break up the uniformity of the reflection a bit.

Hey Jeff, this is a one shot is what you get. The surface is a mirror for maximum reflection. However you've started me thinking again, mirrors are not the only thing reflective. Now I'm wondering how using a pan of water (or other liquid) would work, bump the pan instant ripples. Hmmmm, still have a bunch of sparklers, maybe use a couple this time.

Nice execution. I like this idea and may have to give it a try. My take on it though would be to break the bulb about halfway down so it would seem that the sparks were pouring out of it. I happen to have a whole bag of those sparklers from last year at the beach (it rained). I discovered them recently and have been wondering if those things have an expiration date. I guess next night I'm bored I will find out!

Most reactions

Back