Hot tips for PORTRAIT photography

Study shots from photographers you like, then use them as inspiration as you are posing your clients. Just make sure that you make the shot "yours" and put your own spin on it.

For portraits, I love to use long lenses at full zoom for strong DOF and separation of the subject from the background.

If taking a portrait that includes the family dog, do not whistle, or call the dogs name to try to get it to look at the camera. It will want to run to you. Instead, in a soft, excited voice, say "wheres the kitty" or "whos here". It may not look at the camera, but it will perk up and its ears will go upright, and get it to sit still for a couple shots.

Doug Raflik
I've even whined or barked like a puppy to get the dogs attention. If they think there is another little pup in my camera the keep looking in that direction with interest. The trick is to get the family to stop worrying about getting the animals attention toward the camera and just get their smiles ready for that perfect moment when the dog looks up. I've had more shots where mom or little Johnny is snapping fingers and looking at Rover right when the dog is perked ears and looking dead into the camera lens! Sometimes it works as a portrait too so never say never.

Here some tips for portrait photography
a. Background-The Soft downy skin creates a colorful background for your image shoot.

b. Lighting -After your pattern is well fixed, arrange lamp so as that it's positioned merely little above the head.

c. Shutter Speed - Your shutter speed should be comparatively fast. Also, it is best simply just use a rack to reinforce your photography.

d. Tripod-The rack will get obviate camera shake, therefore refrains from damage portrait pictures.

e. The reflector bounces the sunshine onto your subject, so creating a so much softer light-weight illumination.

Hope this will help you.

The most important thing for me is to be aware that people don’t respond to the camera or to you as such. They respond to the atmosphere in the room. And above anything else that is your sole responsibility

www.michaeldonald.com

Observe a lot of other photographer's work and follow YOUR heart. It will be reflected in the photographs. Just my observation.
OMGOSH this is SO SO important. I've had some of my images copied almost verbatim - save for different furniture piece - but when they can find that they buy it. OUR voice as photographers is what's most important! So 👏👏👏

Most reactions

Back