What's new

Houseplants - photos and discussion

SquarePeg50

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
16,693
Reaction score
18,300
Location
Boston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This post is for Houseplant Enthusiasts to share photos and discuss enjoying and caring for houseplants. Similar to the open ended Gardeners post…

I’ll start us off with one of my absolute favorite houseplants. I hope other enthusiasts will enjoy sharing photos of, and chatting about, their houseplants.

This is a white bird of paradise that I got late last year. It’s growing very fast. I’ve already had to move it onto a shorter stand. This house has very low ceilings (7 1/2’) so at some point I will have to give her away and get another small plant to start again. You can tell from the 2nd pic taken on 1/2/25 just how much it’s grown in less than a year.

IMG_4518.webp


IMG_1556.webp
 
Nice new thread! (Your dining room is lovely!)

I'll contribute here, but atm I have more herbs coming inside and my usual plants are getting shoved all over the map. :lol: Beautiful sunny days are followed by nighttime temps dropping nearly into the 40sF, so it's a merry go round lately!

Those little owls are too cute for words. I want to find something similar for my very narrow window sill over the kitchen sink. It gets a southern exposure and should be great - for something. Do Jade plants tolerate direct sunlight? I don't have many succulents since so many seem to favor indirect light.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Nice new thread! (Your dining room is lovely!)

I'll contribute here, but atm I have more herbs coming inside and my usual plants are getting shoved all over the map. :lol: Beautiful sunny days are followed by nighttime temps dropping nearly into the 40sF, so it's a merry go round lately!

Those little owls are too cute for words. I want to find something similar for my very narrow window sill over the kitchen sink. It gets a southern exposure and should be great - for something. Do Jade plants tolerate direct sunlight? I don't have many succulents since so many seem to favor indirect light.

Yes jade plants love sunlight. The leaves tend to go a dark purple color if they get direct sun but it doesn’t hurt them. They may even flower.

This one was outside on my deck all summer. Morning and afternoon direct sun. I just brought it in this week.
IMG_4849.webp


I kind of forgot how many plants I had put outside for the summer. I’ve been filling up empty spaces in my living room and dining room and now I have to find room for everything that needs to come back inside!
 
I’ve been filling up empty spaces in my living room and dining room and now I have to find room for everything that needs to come back inside!
I've done the exact same thing! :lol:
 
Wonderful forum idea! I'll have to do some housecleaning and organizing before I can post anything... 😂 Unfortunately, I'm one of those clutter keepers. I just need to start throwing things away or donating them to a second hand shop.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #8
Wonderful forum idea! I'll have to do some housecleaning and organizing before I can post anything... 😂 Unfortunately, I'm one of those clutter keepers. I just need to start throwing things away or donating them to a second hand shop.
Looking forward to seeing some of your plants!

I stared on a decluttering mission as soon as I retired. It’s been about 50% successful. It’s hard not to re-clutter once there’s open space on a shelf! My local “Buy Nothing” Facebook group has been great for giving away stuff I no longer need and for snagging organizing items. In fact, that’s where I got the mini owls and a couple of old tables I use as plant stands.
 
Yes jade plants love sunlight. The leaves tend to go a dark purple color if they get direct sun but it doesn’t hurt them. They may even flower.

This one was outside on my deck all summer. Morning and afternoon direct sun. I just brought it in this week.
View attachment 290133

I kind of forgot how many plants I had put outside for the summer. I’ve been filling up empty spaces in my living room and dining room and now I have to find room for everything that needs to come back inside!
advice for those new to growing jades and other succulents in pots : When watered they should be thoroughly soaked and then let dry out. If you give only a little water when watering, the water never gets down far enough, and the roots grow up toward the surface looking for moisture. They are then likely to die back when the top layer of soil goes dry, which it will do quickly.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #10
advice for those new to growing jades and other succulents in pots : When watered they should be thoroughly soaked and then let dry out. If you give only a little water when watering, the water never gets down far enough, and the roots grow up toward the surface looking for moisture. They are then likely to die back when the top layer of soil goes dry, which it will do quickly.
Excellent advice. My process is, if I can remember the last time I watered it, it’s not ready. Next I check by lightly pinching the leaves. Only when they bend slightly do I water. I top water until it runs out the bottom then I let it sit in a basin of water for an hour or two to make sure it gets a full drink. Using the clear pots makes it easy to see if any gaps didn’t get fully watered.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
Got a few new hoyas this week. They’ve been on my houseplant wishlist for a while and I finally found an online source with good ratings and reasonable prices. First two are small, just a step up from a rooted cutting. The last is a 3” starter plant with a couple of good stems. Shipped from TX, they arrived looking strong and healthy thanks to great packaging and 2 day shipping.

New Guinea Ghost
IMG_5083.webp


Silver Splash
IMG_5045.webp


Hoya Heuschkeliana Variegata
IMG_5081.webp


They’re all doing time on the quarantine shelf until I’m sure they’re pest free.
 
I just got some full spectrum grow lights for my indoor plants to see if they will do a little better. No pix yet, still have cleaning and organizing to do of my work area where all the plants are... 😁
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
I just got some full spectrum grow lights for my indoor plants to see if they will do a little better. No pix yet, still have cleaning and organizing to do of my work area where all the plants are... 😁

I had to move everything today to clean these windows. The majority of my plants are in this corner because it gets the best light.
IMG_5095.webp


I have a couple of grow lights in other spots. They’re new and not sure how effective they are but seem to be ok so far.
IMG_5094.webp
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
My Thanksgiving cactus is a bit ahead of schedule this year! It’s bursting with blooms right now.

IMG_5870.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom