Hover fly,mantis,moth

Robstar1619

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some pics i took this weekend.
Handheld camera D80 with manual zoom/focus with the 18-200mm.
aDSC_0085.jpg

aDSC_0099.jpg

aDSC_0086.jpg

aDSC_0117.jpg

aDSC_0121.jpg

ammmu.jpg

love that second mantis shot - must be a baby one since its so tiny!
your getting in good and close and your focus is good - I think your lens is giving your some trouble with its limit macro application - but your getting some good results. Number 2 is very noisy, but seems to me to be a crop and also taken without flash support or at a very high shutter and ISO speed to get the inflight action

Many thanks Overread:thumbup:
Iam still learning this Cam D80..it's a new camera.
Iam no pro at taking pics...a big amature iam:sexywink:
Yes you are right about the crop.
The flight pic i didn't even now i got it untill i saw it later.
I used the 18-200mm set at 200mm..it was the best i could do with this lens.I dont have any Macro lens.
You seem to know a lot more than i know so can you give me some tips on getting those cracking shots like you guys do?
Thanks

Well the 18-200mm is not a macro lens, but if you get some extension tubes (get something like the kenko set since all they are is empty tubes, no glass in them so you don't need to get the official (and overpriced) makes)
With those you would lose the ability of the lens to focus at infinity, but you would reduce your minimum focusing distance - allowing you to get much closer to the insects and thus have them fill more of the frame (ergo greater magnification of images). Its something that I have been meaning to try with my 70-200mm, but have not had a chance yet.
After that a true macro lens is the next best step of course ;)

Many thanks my friend:thumbup:

great work, those are so clear

Wow, I agree with Dragonfly, especially no 5, Brilliant lighting.. Well done..

Most reactions

Back