How accurate are online shutter counts

Oh great. He has two. I'm gonna go shoot myself in the foot. :(

He has two, so he can take his shutter count and divide it by half now.

If you do shoot yourself in the foot, don't forget to take a picture of it. Just don't share it here
:)

He has two, so he can take his shutter count and divide it by half now.

If you do shoot yourself in the foot, don't forget to take a picture of it. Just don't share it here
:)

It's too dark in my room, I can't take the damn picture, I need a D3S! -.-

Each Raw file has a Basic JPEG embedded in it that is used for display on the camera's rear LCD.
Lightroom uses that embedded JPEG for display for a short time until LR has had time to build the new Raw file previews.

So I would suggest the LR number is the inaccurate number relative to shutter actuations of the camera.

You're not using a few more bodies that you forgot about? ;)

This is seriously strange. We can kill/reset the count on filenames in our cameras but I'd be worried
if the total count was somehow lost or easily editable. Any of the software that comes with the camera
in the box maybe able to read the shutter count? Canon haz it.
Each Raw file has a Basic JPEG embedded in it that is used for display on the camera's rear LCD.
Lightroom uses that embedded JPEG for display for a short time until LR has had time to build the new Raw file previews.

So I would suggest the LR number is the inaccurate number relative to shutter actuations of the camera.

Ok. I went and checked the NEF files (pictures) in lightroom for one month. It was accurate 3964 (3 football games,one road race and a few birds). Not sure whats going on.

I, for example, can't get a shutter count on any of the web based apps. Just returns an error. (T2i).

I don't think Canons record shutter clicks in the EXIF data.

I am Nikon, and don't know any details about what Canon might do, but the shutter count is in the Exif data. Of course, Exif data is not necessarily retained in many online images. And not all of the Exif data is necessarily retained by various image editors (Adobe) when they rewrite the file.

And note too, Shutter count is not in the Exif proper, but is instead in the Manufacturers section. But the manufacturer can and does modify the format of this section from time to time. This is why raw editors need revisions themselves, to match new cameras.

File numbering is meaningless regarding shutter count. We change folders or folder names and reset file numbering. Also movie video use may affect file numbering, but not shutter count. etc, etc.

Most Exif Viewers are several years old, and are essentially abandoned, that is, they have not been modified for years, and they can lose ability to show the manufacturers section, either at all or properly. If your Exif viewer is older than your camera, be very suspicious.

One Exif viewer that does get constant revision attention is ExifTool, so it is easily the most reliable one, day and night, it seems to get a couple of revisions each month. It is command line only, but some notes describing easy Windows GUI use of it are at Camera Exif data

Last edited:
I can't see the point just shoot till it stops

Would you buy a used camera with that mindset too or would you rather buy one with 10.000 or 90.000 clicks?

Great comment. :)
I have bought secondhand Canon 1Dmk2's and never asked how many shots it had taken, one i bought was from an official Formula 1 photographer so it would have shot plenty and i never had 1 problem with it over 4 years

You can probably buy a new one when this one dies.. something not all of us can.

Just like buying a used car.
Mileage is first thing that should be looked at.

You can probably buy a new one when this one dies.. something not all of us can.

Thats rubbish about used car, I would rather have higher milage rep car thats been used on motorways than a lower mileage that has only been driven round town, my work car (Merc) has done nearly 200,000 miles and still runs like new always serviced at Merc dealers

Thats rubbish about used car, I would rather have higher milage rep car thats been used on motorways than a lower mileage that has only been driven round town, my work car (Merc) has done nearly 200,000 miles and still runs like new always serviced at Merc dealers

Does the odometer tell you which?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back