How are you storing your Digital Photos?

ahelg said:
I use a method described in the book "The DAM book". DAM stands for Digital Asset Managment" and it's available from amazon.

Basicly I download the images into an empty folder on my hd. There I rename them by adding the data at the beginning in the format YYMMDD. My camera names files in a sequential order. So for example a file from my D70 could be DSC_1139.raw. This would then be renamed to 060619_1139.raw. Once this is done I convert the raw file to the dng format (this is not necesarry. You should study the pro's and con's of dng and make up your own mind about it). Then I transfer all the photos to a folder in my pictures folder. I basicly fill folders untill it reaches the size of a dvd for easy backup and then I start a new folder. Then I import all the images into iView MediaPro, give them keywords and I'm done.

I really recommend that you purchase a copy of "The DAM Book" as my archiving was a mess before I read it, but now it all makes sense.

Ditto to all. I just have gotten into the habit of buying external harddrives and making an extra copy on it. When it gets full I label, unplug and shove it on my safe that we store valueables in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back