How bad are kit lenses?

I think ann said it very well, though I think the lesson in what she said is more implied than actually explicitly stated... most people cannot tell the difference between a $100 lens and a $2000 lens. If you are someone who can tell the difference, than a heftier investment in glass may make sense for you.

I frequently tell people the same thing with lenses, and I usually get shouted down, but here it is anyway...

Until you can really tell the difference, buy the cheap stuff. Why?
  1. It's cheap! If you buy a $100 lens and later decide you need something better or different, you have wasted $100. Whoop-de-doo. If you buy an $1800 lens and realize you really need the 80-200 instead... well... ouch. (granted, in either case you can always sell it)
  2. More limitations=more learning. The more restricted you are in what you can do to make something "work", the more likely you are you bump into those restrictions, and the harder you will have to work to understand and work around those limitations. This is a sure-fire way to learn a lot about photography. I can get some AMAZING pictures out of my total piece of crap 28-100 3.5 lens, but only because I REALLY know what I'm doing now... and much of it is BECAUSE of that stupid lens. :lol:
Kit lenses are fine. Learn their limitations and work within them and you'll have some great results. Then as you become more familiar with your specific needs you can sink bigger dollars into some of the more kick-ass gear.

I operated fine with several kit lenses. You just have to learn where they operate best, like any other lens.

The Nikkor 18-55VR is actually a damn great lens for the money. The 55-200VR is also pretty darn sharp/awesome.
I have photo examples if you would like, of the 55-200.

I like using TV's as an analogy. Your basic kit lenses are like basic CRT tv's. You can use them and get a picture worth looking at but you don't have all the benefits of the higher quality sets. Pro quality lenses are like the top of the line super hi-res LCD/plasma flat screens. Picture quality is stunning in comparison and it has all the bells and whistles.

If you don't want the low quality kit lenses and the price tag of the pro stuff turns you away, definitely consider the "middle of the road" quality lenses. I know canon so I'll use it as an example. I wouldn't look twice at the 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 even for under $300 but I would consider the 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 for under $600 because its a better lens. Many of the 3rd party lenses can be pretty good too.

Thanks for all the replys!

I know that I can't afford professional quality lenses so I probably will be OK with kit lenses. My concern came from a review site and it seemed that this person trashed any kit lens, didn't make a difference from which manufacturer. I do like ann's idea but the truth is I probably can't pick out the difference except if the lens was really bad.

Of course I realized that everyone has an opinion and like every other subject in the world there can be bias in the review since it is ONLY a $200 lens. I asked this question of the people here since there is more of a cross section of opinions than a single thought on the subject. The concensus here is that kit lenses are OK and I'm not going to worry too much about it.

The Nikkor 18-55VR is actually a damn great lens for the money. The 55-200VR is also pretty darn sharp/awesome.
I have photo examples if you would like, of the 55-200.

If you don't mind sending me a link to view them I would appreciate it! THANKS!

The 18-55 is actually not half bad...

I agree... nothing wrong with kit lenses... my 18-55mm on my D40x was great... not pro quality or anything but for an entry level camera I was pleased with the results I got with the kit lens on it. That wasn't even the VR version (bought the kit before the VR lens of it came out) so I'm sure its even better now. Later I bought the 55-200mm VR to get more range (which is also a great entry level lens, i've got some really nice DOF on it).

Keep in mind also that the kit lenses are often made with more plastic and of poorer quality than even the mid-range lenses. I've heard of numerous situations of lenses breaking or falling apart under light to moderate use because of the poor build quality.

i REALLY love my 18-105, the range is awesome! it has is limitation but overwall its a great lens, if there was a 2.8 in that same focal lenght i would be all over it in a heart beat!

Keep in mind also that the kit lenses are often made with more plastic and of poorer quality than even the mid-range lenses. I've heard of numerous situations of lenses breaking or falling apart under light to moderate use because of the poor build quality.

ive used my 18-55mm VR with my d60, at camping, fishing trip, biking, partys, drunkfest, vacation and my camera or lens had didnt had a scratch. i think that if you take good care of your gear it will last forever.

just to point something out, i sold a tamron 28-300 to some guys, i went to his place with the lens and when i saw his camera and lens i was almost afraid to let him try the lens on his body. that thing was SO DIRTY it was unbelievable.

Kit lenses are not bad. They have limitations. They may not belong to the sharpest lens group, but most of the newer kit lenses are decently sharp. The color of the output may not be as great as the expensive one, but they are not bad neither.

If you check with few technical lens review sites, you will find that kit lenses are just fine. (But the older generation of Canon 18-55mm lens are not as good as the newer one optically)

They have limitation such as variable max aperture throughout the focal length range, the max aperture is not as wide as the better one. Their build quality may not be as good as the more expensive one. Their auto focus speed may not be as fast as the quality one, but they cost a lot less.

If someone take a photo of a indoor birthday party with flash bounce off the ceiling, you may not see much different in the end result.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back