How Big

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can you blow up a 35mm shot, taken on ISO400??? Thought it could only be 8 by 10 but wasn't sure

It can depend on a lot of factors such as lens quality, film choice, processing, was a tripod used, mirror lock up, etc..., but the biggest factor is the opinion of the photographer or viewer.

Maybe this will help a bit...first off it's film. Processing was done at walmart (only choice I had). No tripod was used, shot on portrait setting of a Canon Elan 7ne with the kit lens it came with. There are a few different pics I'd like to blow up, but what I am wanting to do is take it somewhere like Kinkos and have it printed onto a big piece of foam board, or possibly even printed like a poster, then I would personally frame and mat it. I really don't want to lose the quality of the images though...some of the pics I want to enlarge are posted in the photographs section of the forum under cambodia pics, and also one in the critique section under untitled. Thanks for everyones responses already!!!!

There are different ways to enlarge a photograph. One way would be digitally...the best bet would be to get a high res scan of the negative and then use photoshop to upsample it to the size you want...with sufficient PPI...300 would be good but who knows how it would look when upsampled that much. Taking it to a good printer would be a big key to getting the print to look good. You might want to talk to the people working there and find out what they can do.

The other option would be to have it optically enlarged. I'm sure there are some labs that could do this for you. I have no idea what it would cost or what the quality would be.

Actually, you can blow it up as big as your budget allows. If it's acceptable or not is up to you. Movies are shot on 35mm film...a still frame on a move screen probably looks pretty good from your seat but not so good with your nose up against the screen. Viewing distance...that's the trick. If you print it at poster size, hang it on your wall and stand back...it should look great. If you get up close, looking for imperfections...you will never be happy with it. I find that if you don't mention it...most non photographers won't notice how gainy a shot is (within reason).

Thanks Big Mike, somehow I thought you might have a good answer to that question :) I will take it around some places soon, and see what can be done!!! Thanks again for all the advice!!!

I recently had a photo enlarged to 11" x 14" that was from Kodak HD400 film. At that size the grain was quite noticeble, and this was printed at one of the top labs in NYC. It was taken with a Pentax MZ-5 and Pentax 50/1.7 prime, so I don't think any inadequacies were with the equipment. I would suggest staying at 8 x 10 or under unless it's the kind of photo that grain would add to the effect.

Dave

I would look at your 4x6 print with a loupe. If it looks soft and grainy that is what you are going to get with an enlargement. As well, If you shot it on film get it printed on real photo paper. I have easily printed 20x30 from 100iso film. From 5ft back it looks great, get close and you can see the grain.

Eric

selmerdave said:
I recently had a photo enlarged to 11" x 14" that was from Kodak HD400 film. At that size the grain was quite noticeble, and this was printed at one of the top labs in NYC. It was taken with a Pentax MZ-5 and Pentax 50/1.7 prime, so I don't think any inadequacies were with the equipment. I would suggest staying at 8 x 10 or under unless it's the kind of photo that grain would add to the effect.

I'd say the inadequacy waas with the film in your case. I normally don't agree with blanket statements such as "So and so type/brand of film always sucks." But Kodak High Definition film really does suck! ;) Try some Fuji NPH; it's my favorite ISO 400 color neg film.

selmerdave said:
Thanks! I haven't purchased HD since, I'm using Reala 100 for prints but thanks for the NPS tip.

Dave

NPS is ISO 160. NPH is ISO 400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back