How can I avoid this and can I correct it?

Markjass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this picture last week. f8, iso 80, 8 second exposure. Why has the colour come out like this? How can I avoid this in the future and can I correct it?

Attachments

• 024a.JPG
    024a.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 332
Are you using some sort of filter on the lens???

Took this picture last week. f8, iso 80, 8 second exposure. Why has the colour come out like this? How can I avoid this in the future and can I correct it?
Welcome!

The color gradient is very odd. I wonder if something was obscuring part of the lens while the exposure occurred. Maybe the strap was slightly in the way.

Do you have any other photos with that phenomenon?

Looks cold and wet - could be a tiny bit of condensation got on part of the lens or some water spray? I've had it where I've breathed on a cold lens by accident when doing things (oft changing it over) and the lens gets a hazy film over it that takes a moment to clear.

It looks like a small localised area in the lower corner had something happen to it - a bad filter might be to blame if you had one fitted - water drop on the lens (though I'd expect blurring not just colour shifting) - some kind of flash-light or other light source at the time lighting that area (did you have a torch? Even if it wasn't putting out much light at 8 seconds it would make a difference)

I agree that it looks like your strap was partially covering the lens or something. Interesting effect. I actually kinda like it!

Not helpful, I know.

My guess is a über-cheap VND or CPL.

I use a cannon g16 powershot . I was using a ND filter. I have not hit this problem before. I hit the problem on a number of shots that took while on this walk. It was a t shirt and shorts day. It was just on the long exposures. I am so sure that I did not have my polariser filter on as well. I know that when using a polariser on a wide angle it can cause some issues. If I am mistaken and had the polariser on could this account for the problem?

Here is the filter on its mounting.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 239
....... If I am mistaken and had the polariser on could this account for the problem?

It may be light bouncing around on the adapter. And the VND doesn't even look like a decent one. Both may be contributing to the problem.

Thanks for your comments. What do the abbreviations VND and and CPL mean. The lens adapter was cheap.

....... If I am mistaken and had the polariser on could this account for the problem?

It may be light bouncing around on the adapter. And the VND doesn't even look like a decent one. Both may be contributing to the problem.

Thanks for your comments. What do the abbreviations VND and and CPL mean. The lens adapter was cheap.

VND: Variable Neutral Density.
CPL: Circular PoLarizer

As sparky said, it could be the quality of the VND filter.
When I first bought my VND (which WAS a good quality), I accidentally turned it PAST the maximum mark, and had a result that was somewhat similar to this.

cheap filter plus cheap ass weird lens adapter thing = cheap ass looking images

Most reactions

New Topics

Back