How can I get a 70s vintage effect?

rumblion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon AE-1 Program, it's my first camera and I don't really know so much about photography. This camera as I know was released at 1981 so I don't know if it's possible to get what I want. Having said that I want to recreate this kind of 70s vintage magazine photos:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/38/c7/d2/...b4499a1--beautiful-women-beautiful-people.jpg

blob:https://web.whatsapp.com/e856f029-4fc9-4dd5-8db7-c819c06a9342

http://79hbm1979mg58bnh1fp50y1bry.w...7/Guido-Harari-Kate-Lindsay-Kemp-1993-015.jpg

I like the B&W photos and that kind of sepia effect.
Please I really appreciate your help.
Thankss ♥

Get the free Nik plug-ins for Adobe products. The look you're after can be recreated with some work and experimentation with neg scans.

They make sepia type filters to put on your lens. Also, most editing programs will have a sepia effect you can apply to an image.

Sepia is a 70s vintage effect? You mean 1870s, right?

Last edited:
Keep in mind, folks, this is the FILM subforum. Not PhotoShop.

You can shoot black & white film for the first image. It's just very high contrast and can be done with the right paper, developer and filters in the darkroom.

Sepia can be done in the darkroom as well to a monochrome image.

The easiest way to get the 1970s look is to use a 1970s camera and 1970s film. The camera you already have. Ilford FP4+ is a 70s film and Bob's your uncle.

The rest of the look is lighting and pose which you can copy from your example pictures.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind, folks, this is the FILM subforum. Not PhotoShop.

You can shoot black & white film for the first image. It's just very high contrast and can be done with the right paper, developer and filters in the darkroom.

Sepia can be done in the darkroom as well to a monochrome image.

Part of shooting film in this day and age is photoshop and scanning.

Shoot some Kodak Tri-x, Fuji Velvia, and Kodak Portra. Get some scans then do the post work to get the look you would like. If you would like to do it in camera, find a lens from the 60s/70s and shoot with that.

The OP states the AE-1P is his first camera and knows little about photography. So darkroom,photoslop and the like are out of his realm at this time. Try a roll of Ilford XP2 and have the local lab develop and print it C-41 process. It has a wonderful sepia like appearance when printed on color paper. If your lab returns the negatives there's a bonus- they can be printed like any other B&W 35MM film. The stuff has some great attributes that he can get to using after he has gained some experience and begins to know what he wants/likes. It prefers to be under-exposed vs. over and that's a plus for many beginning photographers.

about 98% of the people who shoot it. That's generally how it shows up online for people to view. People scan their film, color correct it, do a little dust removal and post it.

I've never had 98 out of 100 people tell me I MUST scan my film.

Lol at you both.

The point is, the MAJORITY of people scan and edit their film. You don't have to and if you don't, you'd fall into the minority. Photoshop and scanning is very relevant to the film sub forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back