which were taken between FInland and Russia at well past midnight at ISO 12,800. But I digress--the OP here is striving for "razor sharp" images,and I think he needs to buy some better lenses and/or get a camera that can deliver better high ISO performance than his little Rebel can deliver. As I wrote, he has reached the limits of his tools, and the Rebel he is shooting is inadequate at ISO 1600 for elk in timber. Even a Village Idiot ought to be able to follow my comments above. And by the way Idiot, I happen to own some Canon L-glass--it's not much better than lenses Nikon just calls "Nikkor". 24-105L, 135/2-L,70-200f/2.8 L-IS...all nice lenses. Village Idiot...sigh...you just love to trail around after me, stalking my posts, disagreeing with almost anyting I say. But when you make a mistake, like this one in Post #10
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ing-equipment-help-me-decide.html#post1726750
you keep your head down and hope nobody notices that you give out bad, ill-informed advice all the time. You said the Canon 580 EX-II speedlight's Guide Number was 58!!! Hilarious! Weighing in when you don't even know the difference between a Guide Number in feet and one specified in Meters, and on your own,beloved Canon system! I laughed at your inadequate knowledge on that one.