How can I give back ??

My way of giving back has been to organize a fundraiser. I contacted 10 other photographers for a marathon photoshoot day called "Rock the Dress for Breast Cancer" where individuals can get professional portaits done, with all of the proceeds going to breast cancer.

I keeps a good balance between not giving away the service for free (the clients still pay) but we are helping a cause, because we donate 100% of the proceeds.

K

Exactly.
QUOTE]

Are you guys serious. Your telling me that helping out a local business is not supporting the community?
Yes, I was absolutely serious.

So supporting local businesses is not a way of supporting the community? Helping locals keep their jobs so they can go on to do the same. If you have a community out of work i dont see how that benefits the everyone.

I dont know what community you live in, but i'm glad i'm not a part of it.

On the other hand, i checked out the "now i lay me down to sleep". that would be a really nice thing to do.

A local photographer and friend participates with: Think Pink Photography

It's a pretty cool idea, I think. I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet that there might be other similar organizations for other charities/causes. That, or just use the idea and your skills to help someone who might not be able to otherwise afford it, etc (which is along the same lines of helping out a church, community center, etc that has already been suggested).

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been posted.

Consider going to kids' sports games with that nice 2.8 tele-zoom.

Make up some business cards and post the pix on snapfish or make them available for free download somewhere.

All those soccer moms with their point & shoot cameras with the flashes going off will think you're a darned hero.

Maybe offer to shoot some civil ceremony wedding pix. My wife and I were married in a courthouse, and we are glad to have a few pix that my stepmom shot. They make it kind of hard to get a camera in there some times. Security & whatnot.

Maybe put some cards up at a flower shop saying "free wedding photographer"

Shoot pix at friends' parties and post them.

One of the coolest photography-related things I've done was to attend a scooter rally. Everyone was shooting pictures of everyone else. People they didn't even know. They posted the pix online at scoot.net later, so everyone had a photo or two of themselves. I have a nice shot of me riding my scooter over a teeter totter in the obstacle course event.

Maybe none of these ideas strike your fancy, but they might get you thinking in the right line.

Cool idea. Pay it forward.

Another idea: street portraits. I don't remember where I read it, but one guy taped up a piece of white construction paper on the wall of a building in the city. He put a sign that said: "free portraits"

He shot hundreds of them, and posted them in B&W or emailed them.

I think all he had was a Canon DSLR and a 50mm f/1.4.

Really cool idea; just be careful not to get mugged. I suppose that depends a lot on the city and where in the city one is.

I'm thinking of trying this one myself one day. Maybe even put in for a local ad and have families show up for outdoor portraits.

Another idea: street portraits. I don't remember where I read it, but one guy taped up a piece of white construction paper on the wall of a building in the city. He put a sign that said: "free portraits"

He shot hundreds of them, and posted them in B&W or emailed them.

I think all he had was a Canon DSLR and a 50mm f/1.4.

Really cool idea; just be careful not to get mugged. I suppose that depends a lot on the city and where in the city one is.

I'm thinking of trying this one myself one day. Maybe even put in for a local ad and have families show up for outdoor portraits.

This was a video on YouTube or something; I know what you're talking about. I'm sure it could be found posted here in some thread about confidence or street shooting.

Talk to your local children's hospital, especially one with a cancer ward (though there are other terminal illnesses, too, of course). A sick child is an extremely stressful time for a family (not only emotionally but also financially) and some portraits of the child and family (if available) on a good day would be so welcomed. Additionally, you could also talk to a charity that deals with sick kids and see if they'd be interested in a collection of photos for either a brochure or fundraiser (like a book).

Hi friends -
I am a volunteer for "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" (NILMDTS)
You can find more even hereHome - Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

This organization reaches out to parents during infant loss and provides heirloom quality portraits of little ones where there would otherwise be none. Hard? Absolutely. But for the parents it is one little comfort in their overwhelming grief. Please let me know if you have any questions about volunteering. The website explains it very well!

Scott Kelby recently had the founder write for him as a guest blogger. you could see what she had to say about it here:
Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog » Photoshop & Digital Photography Techniques, Tutorials, Books, Reviews & More Blog Archive It’s Guest Blog Wednesday featuring Sandy Puc’!

I am ging to invest in a canon 7D and a 50mm 1.4, and a 70-200mm2.8. i am looking for a way to give back to my community through my photography skills.

Very nice of you. Also very nice that you thought of asking for ideas here. As the next quote shows, it may not be as simple as it sounds.

That sure helps a local business but not the entire community.

Exactly.
QUOTE]

Are you guys serious. Your telling me that helping out a local business is not supporting the community?

Not if you are taking business away from another business, ie a photography business. Whatever you do, make sure you are not taking business from a photog unless you don't mind killing one to help the other.

Some of the ideas that have been offered could do just that. Just take time to think of what exactly you are doing. The OP's address being USA we don't know much about his place and it is hard to give specific ideas but here's a good rule of thumb: if there isn't going to be another photographer there, it's good. Just don't volunteer so early that the pro will be left in the cold due to a volunteer...

My way of giving back has been to organize a fundraiser. I contacted 10 other photographers for a marathon photoshoot day called "Rock the Dress for Breast Cancer" where individuals can get professional portaits done, with all of the proceeds going to breast cancer.

I keeps a good balance between not giving away the service for free (the clients still pay) but we are helping a cause, because we donate 100% of the proceeds.

K

That seems like a very good way to do it. Create your own event and donate your time or your profits. Photography is a creative endeavor, be creative about giving back. :D

Two things that I do in my community.....

I donate my time to take photos at the animal shelter. I take a backdrop, lights, and gear down to the shelter. I set up and take photos of the dogs and cats that are available for adoption. They can then use the photos for flyers and their website. They have noticed a nice increase in adoptions. Nice photos present the animals very well.

Also, near Fathers Day I set up in a location downtown and do "glamor shots" for little kids. They get an 8x10 to give to their dad. No fee is charged, but they can donate if they feel inclined. The money goes to something specific every year and it is clearly stated what those funds are for. Usually a local fund raising or a family in need. The kids are brought in, and my wife and sister-in-law apply make-up, hats, feather boas, etc. The little girls love it. Mainly get kids in the 3 to 12 year old range, with 4-8 being the most common. Lots of fathers have contacted me after receiving their gifts and they are elated. Usually people donate a very generous amount to the fund raiser for just a single shot 8x10.

Sorry if I am duplicating anyone here. Too many posts to read at the moment.

Last Fall I shot a family whose mother was dealing with breast cancer. It was their 1st real family portrait. She was pretty healthy at the time. I made some prints, framed them, gave her all the 4x6's and the disk.

At her fundraiser the next month, I donated a photo shoot at the silent auction and had her family photo as a sample. I also created a nice slideshow to show at the event, which meant scanning old photos etc. and getting them organized for the family.

Sadly, she passed away in January. I spent a lot of time on this and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have also offered to do family photos of servicemen and women about to be deployed.

Not if you are taking business away from another business, ie a photography business. Whatever you do, make sure you are not taking business from a photog unless you don't mind killing one to help the other.

Some of the ideas that have been offered could do just that. Just take time to think of what exactly you are doing. The OP's address being USA we don't know much about his place and it is hard to give specific ideas but here's a good rule of thumb: if there isn't going to be another photographer there, it's good. Just don't volunteer so early that the pro will be left in the cold due to a volunteer...

I totally agree with this poster. You don't want to harm any of the local businesses including other photographers. I'd be careful.

I recently went to a Penguin Plunge where participants jumped into the Hudson River in February. It was a fundraiser to help a local family who's child has cancer. The organization is a not for profit and didn't have the funds to hire a photographer. I turned over the photos on a disc and they used them on their website. It was a great experience.

Contact local charities and see if they would like a photographer to document their event. It's a great way to get involved.

I also give way sports photos - usually just to teammates of my kids. But there is no sports photographer working in our area at this time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back