How can i make my 50mm focus closer?

Derek_Caven99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and if im correct it focuses at about a foot.

Is there anyway i can get a little closer focusing on this lens for under 50 bucks.

Or am i just wasting my time, and should just go get a macro lens?

Well you could pick up macro extender rings. That will let it be closer to the subject for cheap. Also them "macro filters" would help some. I've never used either but you could prob get both for 50$ off of ebay or something.

You could mount it backwards
You could put a prinkles can with the hole cut out both ends between the camera and lens.

You can get a bellows for it.

Any links to anything i can buy...do extension tubes work good? Anywhere I can buy one...what one is good?

Also, does anyone have any experience with poor mans macro, face to face macro couplers.

My list of lenses are in my signature.

do extension tubes work good?
No...but they work well. :er: ;)

I'm not sure you will find an extension tube for $50...but maybe. They are a good option, because they don't introduce any glass...they are just a tube...so the image quality of the lens is preserved.

Another option is 'close up' diopter filters. They screw to the front of the lens. They do work, but because they are another lens for the light to pass though, your image quality is tied to the quality of them. I've got a set of Hoya close up filters...they are OK.

Also, does anyone have any experience with poor mans macro, face to face macro couplers.
I've got a 'face to face' macro coupler. I used to mount my 50mm (backward) onto a 35-105mm lens. The resulting image would vignette pretty bad but it was really magnified. Practically too much because the subject had to be about an inch away from the end of the lens on the front.

Here is an example...
Macro-01.jpg

So if i put my 50mm onto my 18-55mm with a reversing ring would it have More or less vingetting as compared to your 35-105mm

New extension tubes are around $75 to $80 for Nikon, but you should be able to buy used ones for around $50.

As the 50/1.8 has a 52 mm filter thread, you could use the Nikon 4T close-up lens, and one of those will cost about $50 second-hand. That is a 3 diopter achromatic two element close up lens. It won't give you a flat field, however. You would have to stop down a couple of stops at least.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back