How can I re-create this lighting technique?

nayeight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
- Link to the music video "Digital Girl" directed by Hype Williams.

I love the colors and the feel of this music video but I have no idea how to create this lighting effect. Any tips? I'm thinking it has something to do with photo gels. I have a Canon 5D and I'm a student with access to a studio, lights, etc. What materials will I need? What settings on my camera should I use? What should I do with my model to create this look?

Last edited by a moderator:
The models have very shimmery, glittery makeup that has a silver-colored hue to it. That makeup is applied all over their exposed skin areas, wherever the gel color is wanted. The models are then bombarded with a mixture of blue and red gels; red gels with light pumped through them look sort of pinkish or magenta. Some yellow gels are also used. Take a look at the section of the video where three round "pools" of light are aimed at the backdrop, which is a dark, almost black color; blue,red,yellow, in round "pools".

The mix of blue and red gels gives an interesting look. You'll want gel filters,and some way to limit the light spread somewhat, either honeycomb grids of 20-30 degrees, or snoots, or barndoors, perhaps all three. The biggest issues though is the body makeup--you'll need plenty of it. On African American skin,shot in a dark room, you can see the gel filter effects quite well; pay attention when Jamie Foxx takes off his sunglasses; you can see the light aimed at him in the reflection on the sunglasses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back