How come my new Nikon isnt zooming?

Kwitel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is an idiotic question but took out my new D3300 for the first time yesterday and couldnt zoom in on anything.

Meaning, when i twist the zoom all the way in, the maximum zoom is the same "view" as when I look away from the camera and just use my eyes.
I am using the stock 18/55 lens and my mobile phone zooms in more than my DSLR.

What am I missing here?

Not sure if we are talking about the same problem here but...
Zooming all the way in to 55mm is going to give you the almost exact field of view as the naked eye. That is what it is supposed to do. You want closer, buy a longer lens.

^ This. A "normal" lens, which shows things at about the same size as the un-aided eye is about 50mm.

You are confusing a lens that zooms with a telephoto lens.

Zoom and telephoto are not the same thing.

A zoom lens is a lens that can change focal length. Your lend does this it changes within the range of 18mm and 55mm.

A telephoto lens is s lens that has a greater optical magnification. An example of a telephoto lens would be a 70-200mm lens or a 500mm lens.

Not all zoom lenses are telephoto lenses, and telephoto lenses don't have to be zoom lenses.

As for your cell phone zooming, it's NOT. Cell phones have fixed lenses that do not change in focal length. What you are calling zoom on your phone is simply just the phone cropping the image.

Wow, I had no idea.

Thanks to all for replying!

Forgive me if this is an idiotic question but took out my new D3300 for the first time yesterday and couldnt zoom in on anything.

Meaning, when i twist the zoom all the way in, the maximum zoom is the same "view" as when I look away from the camera and just use my eyes.
I am using the stock 18/55 lens and my mobile phone zooms in more than my DSLR.

What am I missing here?

The zoom range of the 18-55 is not a lot of zoom compared with some phone cameras. There are zoom lenses with more range, and some are quite affordable, so shop around for comparison.

Some compact digital cameras have what is called "optical zoom". This means the lens actually moves like on your D3300. Other cheaper cameras and phone cameras "zoom" by eliminating parts of the picture near the edges, leaving only the middle. It looks as if it has zoomed, but such a drastic crop has discarded quite a lot of pixels that you won't be seeing.

If you would like to perform an experiment, take a standard picture with your phone, and then the same scene with it zoomed all the way. Then upload the pictures onto your computer, and look at them full size. The "zoomed" one will probably look pixelated compared with the standard photo.

A few months ago I picked up a decent used 55-200mm kit lens with VR for about $150 from KEH.

Last edited:
and the 70-300's can be picked up for short money

Considering id still likely to be able to take relatively wide angle shots but want to be able to get closer as well...whats the next logical step for an absolute newbie who doesnt want to break the bank?

Considering id still likely to be able to take relatively wide angle shots but want to be able to get closer as well...whats the next logical step for an absolute newbie who doesnt want to break the bank?

When I bought my camera I got the 18-55 AND the 55-200 with my deal. The 55-200 should be available for a low price.

The more selective of members here might not make this recommendation, but there is a 18-300.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR

That unfortunately way out of my price range.
Im thinking about spending maybe 200.

Maybe a used 18-105 and then I can sell my 18-55...

The 18-105 is a decent all in one lens giving a good range of wide to medium telephoto focal lengths. One thing to keep in mind, if you're use to the long super zoom's on many of the point and shoot camera's out there you will be surprised to find that on a DSLR getting a long telephoto lens can cost a considerable amount of money. Point and shoots get away with this because the manufacturers make huge compromises in lens design and image quality as a trade off for the incredibly wide range of zoom.

If you're not apposed to buying used there are some wonderful options out there for you to purchase which will give you what you need. The Nikon 55-200 3.5-5.6 VR as mentioned by someone else is a fantastic little lens. New this lens retails for $249, used can be had for $125 or so if you shop around. Check out KEH.com for used gear. They offer a 6 month warranty on all used gear they sell. Also If you buy the item and don't feel that it's in the condition they stated they will take it back within 14 days no questions asked. I started out with the same 18-55 VR lens you have, along with the 55-200, and got some absolutely amazing photographs with them.

The 18-105 is a decent all in one lens giving a good range of wide to medium telephoto focal lengths. One thing to keep in mind, if you're use to the long super zoom's on many of the point and shoot camera's out there you will be surprised to find that on a DSLR getting a long telephoto lens can cost a considerable amount of money. Point and shoots get away with this because the manufacturers make huge compromises in lens design and image quality as a trade off for the incredibly wide range of zoom.

If you're not apposed to buying used there are some wonderful options out there for you to purchase which will give you what you need. The Nikon 55-200 3.5-5.6 VR as mentioned by someone else is a fantastic little lens. New this lens retails for $249, used can be had for $125 or so if you shop around. Check out KEH.com for used gear. They offer a 6 month warranty on all used gear they sell. Also If you buy the item and don't feel that it's in the condition they stated they will take it back within 14 days no questions asked. I started out with the same 18-55 VR lens you have, along with the 55-200, and got some absolutely amazing photographs with them.

Thanks for the advice.
My worry is for now that i dont want to be carrying two lenses.
And it appears that if I go with eh 55-200mm, i miss out on all the sub-55mm wide angled capabilities as I would likely sell my 18-55 and/or not want to carry around both lenses.

Am looking for the best in price and compromise, considering the above.

A couple thoughts:

1. Many cameras have a high enough resolution that "zooming by cropping" is possible. So you take a photo as far in as you can get, then crop the hell out of it. It isn't what you're going to want to do for a picture you want to hang in an art gallery, but if you are just putting photos up on facebook you're fine.
2. If you really really want a telephoto lens, you might consider picking up an old film lens. They'll be manual focus, but they'll be cheap, and they should fit your camera (so long as you pick up the right mount).

You've gotten good feedback and it is up to you to make a decision because there is no perfect answer based on your requirements (large zoom range, low cost and single lens).

What you haven't mentioned yet is what you like to shoot. This will also help with recommendations.

In you case I would suggest trying the "zoom by crop" approach and see how that works for you. It costs you nothing and lets you learn the pros and cons of your current 18-55 lens.
If you decide you need more zoom the least expensive route is to add the 55-200. Yes, it's 2 lenses but you can decided based on what you are shooting if you need one, the other or both.
If carrying a single lens is a must then save up for the 18-200mm.

FWIW, I have a D3300 with an 18-55, 55-300 and 35mm lenses. Most of the time the 35mm is on the camera and I zoom with my feet. The 55-300 is my next option when I know I won't be able to get close enough to the subject.

Most reactions

Back