What's new

how come

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
8,708
Reaction score
1,312
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
in this photo when I bring the light level up in post it washes out the trees. I've tried it three times View attachment 65066
 
I believe that is due to the twigs diffracting light, bending it just enough that by the time it gets to your lens, it has essentially gone around the twig and blinded it from you / made a bleeding halo.
Twigs an inch or so apart, and a half mile away, would diffract light enough to deviate an inch or so, which should bleed the image a bit?
Notice that it seems more extreme on the thinner bits of the trees, which makes sense, if you have something thin and you bend around both sides of it, you cover it up faster than something thicker.

If not, it's some other optical phenomenon, I don't think photoshop is doing that. Especially since I see it with my own eyeballs all the time.
 
I'm not sure what you're tryiong to do. You're already clipping much of the sky. The snow has lost most of its details. If you raise the brightness, the snow will wash out. Basically you have a front lighted shot due to where the sun is. The trees are in silouette. There isn't much you can do with this lighting situation.
 
When you have a photo that uses all or close to all of the camera's dynamic range, it's very difficult to bump up or pull back exposure globally and not screw something up. In such cases, you can try to use layers and masks to do the adjustments on targeted areas only, but that greatly increases the level of effort, and sometimes you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it (this is a general statement, not a comment on the photo you posted).
 
I know you didn't ask, but it's really leaning
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
I believe that is due to the twigs diffracting light, bending it just enough that by the time it gets to your lens, it has essentially gone around the twig and blinded it from you / made a bleeding halo.
Twigs an inch or so apart, and a half mile away, would diffract light enough to deviate an inch or so, which should bleed the image a bit?
Notice that it seems more extreme on the thinner bits of the trees, which makes sense, if you have something thin and you bend around both sides of it, you cover it up faster than something thicker.

If not, it's some other optical phenomenon, I don't think photoshop is doing that. Especially since I see it with my own eyeballs all the time.
makes sense

I'm not sure what you're tryiong to do. You're already clipping much of the sky. The snow has lost most of its details. If you raise the brightness, the snow will wash out. Basically you have a front lighted shot due to where the sun is. The trees are in silouette. There isn't much you can do with this lighting situation.
it was almost dark and im trying to make it look like daytime. As you said though, the picture is suffering. i don't think it is going to happen.

When you have a photo that uses all or close to all of the camera's dynamic range, it's very difficult to bump up or pull back exposure globally and not screw something up. In such cases, you can try to use layers and masks to do the adjustments on targeted areas only, but that greatly increases the level of effort, and sometimes you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it (this is a general statement, not a comment on the photo you posted).
makes sense too. maybe it is D. All of the above...

I know you didn't ask, but it's really leaning
yeah I know. I cant seem to hold a camera straight. Im actually more concerned about the trees though, or rather, im annoyed and a little frustrated. i will probably just go retake it.
Can I edit your picture?
okay.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom