How did you learn?????

I did 3 years of university in the early 1990s, worked in various photo labs for about 7-8 years, and shot many, many rolls of film.

I'm still learning.

Books and going out and using the gear. I missed a lot of good shots too.

What's up with this old thread? I doubt the OP is still listening

Learning from my mother, an incredibly talented portrait photographer; shooting a ton of photos, internetz, trial, error, taking cameras apart (I dont recommend this one...), books, looking at others work... watching a ton of movies and picking apart the cinematography.

I took a college level introductory photography course. It gave me a solid foundation. Then I took lots of pictures, making notes as I did, which allowed me to learn from my mistakes. I attended a few seminars as a member of PPofA and realized that attending competition print judging was far more informative than any lecture, and that the guys giving the lectures found a new way to make money from photography. I invested in many books about areas of photography that were of interest to me or that could possibly solve a particular problem I was having. And, as someone else already mentioned, read your camera manual. There are a lot of excellent photography websites. Some links I find helpful are: Digital Photography Review, Strobist: Lighting 101, About Photography, About Digital Cameras - Learn About Digital Cameras with Tips, Advice, and Camera Reviews, Photography | CreativePro.com, Adobe TV.

Started just messing with my phone, shot pin hole, film, instamatic, compact, and now DSLR. Learned 80% of what I know today from myself through experimentation and trial/error. What puzzled me I'd google or YouTube search it for tutorials. I try to shoot every type of photography there is, and I want to work for National Geographic one day. Til then, I've been building my portfolio. I've been shooting for little over a year now, lots of people underestimate me but I've gotten used to it. I'm going to city next year for professional photography classes to learn more faster and connect with local photographers, it's also good to have a degree in something rather than being freelance like I currently am. It's soooo hard to find a job!

Most reactions

Back