How do I captures these photos better

ksasidhar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had earlier posted these images on Photo Assignment forum. But thought this would be a better forum for suggestions. I have recently started taking photos in aperture and shutter priority modes. I took some pictures at the beach and riverside recently. I am posting 3 of the images. I will describe the details camera setting below each of the images. The only post processing I have done until now is to adjust the histogram levels.

Comments regarding anything from composition to camera settings to picture quality will be very useful in my learning process. Please give your suggestions and comments for the attached pictures.

Image 1
dawn-jpg.131784

The image was shot using 18-105mm Nikon lens at focal length of 105mm. I set it in aperture priority mode with a setting of f/20. ISO was at 125. I used the pattern metering for this image. When I look at its histogram, I don't see any option of modifying the levels. How do I make it brighter? The idea was to capture horizon of morning sun behind the palm trees. The image was captured from a hotel room. I could not get different angle to avoid the roof.
dawn_histogram-jpg.131785

Image 2

Modified
sunset_riverside_mod-jpg.131786

Original

sunset_riverside-jpg.131787

This image was taken in shutter priority mode with exposure time of 1/2 sec and ISO 640. The focal length was 105mm. I used the pattern metering for this image. The above image is with post processing the histogram levels. The photo was taken about 20mins after the sunset down. I wanted to capture the sunset along with the river. I was more to show the shadow land side in the river. Is the modified image better than the original? If so, is there a way to capture modified image directly from camera by adjusting the settings?

Image 3
dawn_beach_1-jpg.131788

This image was also taken at shutter priority mode with focal length of 18mm. The exposure time 1/1000 sec and ISO was set to 1000. I used spot metering for the image while setting the focus at sea before taking the snap. This image was an attempt to capture sunrise while letting people realize the location to be beach. When I look at its histogram, the levels look filled on the brighter side. If anything, there are some dark levels missing from the histogram. However, previously it was indicated to me that the image is dark. How do I adjust the setting to make it better.
dawn_beach_histogram-jpg.131789

Thanks and Regards,
Sasidhar

Honestly the biggest issues I see have absolutely nothing to do with what settings you are using.

The composition of the images is just well not very good. The first and last image your horizon is quite crooked. And the 2nd one has some obnoxious signs and something else in the bottom right courier that are really distracting.

I would get several photography books from the library on composition as well as other photography books and just study the images and try and figure out what is it about the images that you like, why are they attractive images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...........The composition of the images is just well not very good. .........

That, and there just aren't any subjects. They are, I hate to say............. snapshots. Snapshots are merely proof that you were at a given location at a certain time, had a camera, and was able to push a button.

I'm with Light Guru..... learn how to 'see' photographs. You want to learn how to edit, but you need to start editing at the beginning: Before you even touch your camera.

Hi there, I´m afraid Light Guru and 480sparky are right. The biggest problem in these images is composition.
The roof in the first image takes a big part of the image, but it doesn´t add anything to it other than the viewer wanting it to go away. The same with the boards, grey cloth and telephone pole in the other image. If you look at it and think the image would be better without, you have to try to take the image without those distracting objects.
Regarding the sunset - sometimes you are just not lucky enough to get a really nice sunset when you are at the beach. I´m afraid you have to live with it because that is not your fault, and no photographer in the world could make this scene a great looking sunset. If that´s the case, I usually keep my camera in the bag and enjoy the time on the beach. Only take your best images for critic and put only these into your portfolio. That will make you a better photographer in no time.
Regarding camera settings. f20 in the first image is way too much. The best sharpness of most lenses is around f8-f11. Since the roof is nothing that needs to be sharp, you can reduce the depth of field and aim for the best possible sharpness of your main object.

You 'might' have the makings of a decent image here, but others' advice is right to compose before any thoughts of edits. Three questions to always consider: 1) what's the story? 2) Where's the focus? 3) How's the light? Get rid of anything else -- move or crop. I focus on the ship but it's too distant. No leading lines. No story. In a nutshell, boring. You might consider a silhouette and more color 'punch' to simplify. Or move, change the angle of horizon, find some useful foreground, such as rocks or other boats. Once you make the shot, totally change it up and shoot more. Move around. Work it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other than the above,

what exactly are you attempting -to capture - better colors, details overall, etc.

In photo 1 keep in mind that you exposed for the foreground, which over exposed the sun's reflection.

as an experiment, If you try using SPOT metering next time and expose for different spots. Such as the Roof, the Palm trees behind the roof, and the distant ocean, the sun reflecting off of the ocean then compare each area for each different metered area you would find that it varies.

The thing I think you are looking for is what your eyes are seeing, which is properly exposed areas. You'll find if you take one shot (excluding HDR / bracketed shots) that you'll have to find a happy medium amongst all these areas for the shot you are looking for, and post processing certain areas to make them the way you want.

Thanks to all for your advices. I will try to get more on composition before I concentrate on different settings at which capture photos.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

This image was also taken at shutter priority mode with focal length of 18mm. The exposure time 1/1000 sec and ISO was set to 1000. I used spot metering for the image while setting the focus at sea before taking the snap. This image was an attempt to capture sunrise while letting people realize the location to be beach. When I look at its histogram, the levels look filled on the brighter side. If anything, there are some dark levels missing from the histogram. However, previously it was indicated to me that the image is dark. How do I adjust the setting to make it better.
dawn_beach_histogram-jpg.131789

dawn_beach.jpg

The original is flat (lacking contrast) not dark. With the Levels tool in GIMP adjust the black point slider to meet the end of the graph (pull to your right). The gamma (middle) slider can be used to make the photo lighter or darker overall. More contrast can be added using the Layers palette: duplicate the layer and change the mode to Soft Light. I selectively darkened the sky with a Multiply blend mode in Layers and a Layer mask.

I don't shoot a lot of waves where I live but I'm guessing 1/500 sec would have been enough and as such you could have lowered the ISO.

Joe

If you're having trouble getting your horizons straight, use the tools inside your camera. Your camera should have an option to add a grid in the viewfinder. Use it to line up with the horizon. That's step 1. Step 2, learn the rule of thirds (Google it). Step 3, continue learning something new everyday. Photography is a life long journey and you'll always discover something new. However, learning the fundamentals now will go a long way in quickly improving your skills.

Dear Sasidhar,
I think shot #2 is the best of the 3. Yes there is a way to improve this photo in camera. The exact time of day to make photos like this has a large impact on how the photo actually comes out. Sometimes shooting a little bit earlier for a semi night scene or a Twilight scene like this is a good idea. At some point everything will look blue, which is called the Blue hour.

Dropping off the signs and a little bit off of the bottom of this Frame would improve it quite a bit. I disagree that there is no quote subject in this photo there is a clear subject here, and the 105mm lens length is a good choice for medium distance Landscapes such as this one.

As you can see the original capture was rather flat and you did a good job in post-processing it to show more detail. Five to 10 minutes earlier you probably would have had decent sunset colors, and also a bit more detail visible in the shoreline of the river. One of the best ideas when shooting a shot like this at Twilight is to automatically bracket the exposures:some need to be longer. Others might appear better with shorter exposures.

When making photographs at Twilight it is important to work quickly, since the light changes very rapidly, and to be aware of how to meter, and what are the most important areas of the photo to get right exposure wise.

Thanks Joe. Your post processed image looks great. I will try to follow the method and get a similar image.

Thanks Parker and Derrel. I will try to follow your advices.

I thought the was shooting the shadow of landscape in water while capturing the sunset colors in Photo 2. But probably should learn to take better shot of it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I like #2. I get this type of (non-subject) picture as it its' purpose is to project a mood and not necessarily tell a story. It looks to me as though there is a lot of distracting objects that need to be cloned out to keep with this mood. Specifically the object on the far right and the signs middle right.3

Thanks to all for your advices. I will try to get more on composition before I concentrate on different settings at which capture photos.

good strategy

Don't worry so much about settings... although they are important obviously... but when setting up a shot look around you... try different angles... avoid eye level shots... pick a subject that's insteresting to you and try to see if there is anything that draws your eyes to it (leading lines)

Once you framed the **** and you're happy with the composition THAN start playing with settings and the fun begins.

The more elements in a shot the more powerful the shot will be ...
Light, leading lines, subjects etc...

Most reactions

Back