How do I do this? Rant!! Rave!! Fuss!! Fume!!

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I did a shoot for a family the other day, and I'm trying to make a realistic reflection of the kids as if they're standing on a shiny floor.

Here is the image before I get the reflection correct. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have this image on 3 separate layers. The main image, an upside down 14% opacity image and a white background.

Really, really, really looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Attachments

• Kids with reflection.jpg
    Kids with reflection.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 172
I"m sure there are a million ways to do this, and almost as many tutorials on YouTube. I think the simplest way to deal with this, since the "reflection" actually looks not too bad, would be to determine where the shadows should fall, and then use 'Transform Selection' to make the shadow fit where it should.

I think maybe in this case you can't flip the image to get the reflection. The image reflected from the floor will not be the same as the one hitting the camera. Each reflection would be "connected" to each subject at their feet, I would think. Maybe something to try is to use PS to move the reflections around to connect to the subjects, but then mask/blend/whatever so as not to to get the whole reflection, but just a small part of each subject on the floor.

Hi Tirediron,

Thanks for the reply.
My problem is figuring out where the reflection should be.
This is a high key shot, so that part is easy. Make it up. Since you don't have an obvious light source, just arbitrarily decide where it's going to be and work from there. You know it wouldn't make sense to have it right in front, or too far off to one side...

Hi Tirediron,

Thanks for the reply.
This is a high key shot, so that part is easy. Make it up. Since you don't have an obvious light source, just arbitrarily decide where it's going to be and work from there. You know it wouldn't make sense to have it right in front, or too far off to one side...
What do you think of my 2nd shot (post above your last one)?

Hi Tirediron,

Thanks for the reply.
What do you think of my 2nd shot (post above your last one)?
Positioning is better, but you need to skew the shadows a bit, so they're not so straight out in front.

Most reactions

Back