How do I double expose?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I use Nikon F501 camera, which is a semi auto one. It winds the film automatically but of course after I finish the entire roll I have to manually wind it back. So how do I do double exposure?

Did a bit of research for you:

[url said:
http://www.nikonclub.com.au/lightreading/qa/multiple.html[/url]]
I have heard that it is possible to take multiple exposures with the F-501 by using the rewind button and slide prior to taking a photograph, thereby preventing film transport. True or false? (Autumn 1990)

True. It is possible to use the rewind button and slide on the F-501 (and also the F-301) to multiple expose, but there are a couple of guidelines you should follow to ensure success.

Before taking the first of the series of shots you wish to multiple expose, move the rewind slide across and depress the rewind button. You must continue to hold both of these until you have finished the last exposure. Once you have completed the number of multiple exposures desired, release the rewind slide and button, and the film will wind on.

Important: The film transport gears have to be re-engaged when you release the rewind button, so the film may not wind on one complete frame once you have finished. For this reason it is vital that you take the next photograph with the lens cap on to prevent any exposure of the film. This blank exposure prevents any overlap from occurring. Also, because you have changed the spacing of the photographs on the film, the negatives after the multiple exposure may be sliced in half by the automatic film cutters at your photo lab. For this reason, ask to have the negatives returned uncut. You can then cut them into strips of 4 or 6 by hand.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Thanx!!!

But that will raise another question. If I have to hold the button and slider, which I usually do with at least 2 fingers and a thumb, how the hell do I take a picture like that?

Furthermore I was thinking of doing double exposure in low light conditions, like in the night. With my hands holding the buttons, tripot becomes useless.

Maybe duct tape is really man's best friend...

Most reactions

Back