How do I keep my light stand (and umbrella) from toppling over?

Forget all that and just get a 'Voice Activated Light Stand' (an assistant)

Lol, perhaps... one day.

My family shoot was this morning and it went well enough. I got there early to take some test shots. I ended up making some sand socks. I bought long socks from walmart, some sew on snaps to close the socks, and I put two zip lock bags full of sand in each. I used 3 of these socks on each stand (wrapping one around each leg).

The stands were steady for awhile and about 5 minutes before my family showed up the wind picked up and both stands went down. One of my umbrellas broke (luckily it was the one I already bent) but it's still usable for now.

I thought I was a genius because I figured out how to hold down the stands and the way I had the socks wrapped up, I could just move the entire stand without moving the weights individually. I guess I need more weight though.

Well, another lesson learned, and at least I didn't damage my flashes or my wireless triggers.

I will look into getting some 20 pound ankle weights, or bags for sand... I already have the sand.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions.

One of the beauties of ankle weights, besides being cheap, is the ability to put one tightly on each leg near the end and one around the center shaft at the bottom if needed.

Granted if you need 80lbs of weight you are going to need heavy duty stands at that point or they are going to bend in the wind, but the dual strap type lets you put the weight at the foot of the leg where it does the most good.

Most reactions

Back