How do I know what lenses are compatible with my camera?

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
So, I assume I can't put just any lens on my camera. How do I know which ones work with it? Am I restricted to only Olympus (I have an Olympus E-510)?

Also, how do I know what lens filters will work with my lens?

I'm not asking people to tell me exactly what lenses work with my camera. All I'm asking is what do I need to look for on my camera so I know. I can look search the web and maybe find it, or, I can ask on here and have a helpful person give me a pointer or point me in the right direction. This way, when another person on this forum wants to know the same answer, it will be here, so they can find it.

So, how about something constructive?

I think the previous post was out of reaction to just how general your question is... If there is a "real" camera store nearby, they might be able to show you some examples of lenses that fit your camera. Sometimes, one on one discussion will help jump start things...

Your camera has the 4/3rds camera mount. You will have to do your research to confirm (I don't have one) but any of the 4/3rds mount lenses should work. Most of the lenses in this mount type are going to be Olympus branded known as Zuiko. Sigma makes a few four thirds lenses as well as the Leica zoom that was originally sold with the Leica digilux 3 and its brother the Panasonic DMC-L1. Never shot with it but I've heard the Leica zoom is a good quality lens... that can still be expensive on the used market. Some have mentioned buying the DMC-L1 or Digilux 3 used just to get the lens (selling off the body).

Last edited:
oh yeh...lens filters come in a variety of sizes to screw on to a variety of lenses with various sizes.. there's a large variety of brands that cover a wide variety of qualities that come in a variety of types (UV, IR, gradient, and ND)

Sorry for the vague answer but there is such a wide variety of possible answers to your question.

Check out this article:
Olympus EVOLT E-510 full review Cameralabs features: lenses and viewfinder

Panasonic and Sigma also make lenses for the E510. Also check out LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony Lenses and Cameras and look at the lenses for Olympus 4/3 cameras. That site will also have its own professional reviews as well as links to professional reviews. (None of the "shopper" reviews.)

Lens filters will depend on the lens. The lens specs will mention the size of mount for filters. For example my 50mm focal length lens uses a 58mm diameter filter that also fits my 100mm lens. The filter can be made by any company, they are not brand specific.

Last advice. Don't go cheap on lenses. Think about what you want to photograph most often, and get the best lens for that focal range. For special occasions, like graduations, where you may want a long focal length -rent one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back