How do I start my Photgoraphy buisness before I turn 18?

LydiaK100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm Lydia and I am a wee bit young compared to most photographers wanting to go pro. I have the support of my family to let me start a photography business but I am not quite sure how to market my photography. I'm a homeschooler and so I don't have any way to advertise my services there. I have a Craigslist add posted but it isn't doing anything except raid my separate e-mail with spam. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most pro photographers have been shooting longer than you have been alive. I think you should keep it as a hobby until you can answer this question yourself. Starting a business is not something to take lightly. It requires a lot of work, time, and money that you have to invest into it before you begin to break even.

You don't get a camera and decide to go pro. Take some photos first.

What type of photography do you do? Who is your target market?

1. Make a professional, dedicated website with your portfolio. have some pages about they type of photography you do, what they'll get and how to contact you.

2. Is there someplace local that will display your work? When I was a teen the local library had a display case in the foyer where I could display my work for a couple of months each yr.

Lyonsroar:I prefer not to say. But I don't have the right to drive yet. Snakeguy101: I understand your point and I do not take this lightly. I prefer not to spend my entire life waiting. Also, I do not believe that just because you ask a question you are not ready. In my opinion it is much better to ask a question, than be afraid to just because of the fact people will see them as not prepared to do what they set out to do.

I wouldn't worry about posting your age at all - its not as if anyone can do anything much with that info (And if your a working business looking to deal through places like cragslist you'll have to supply some info up front like that anyway).

Further what kind of photography do you do and can you do? What gear to you have to support this and also what kind of money/support do you have to finance this?

To give any usable advice we first need info otherwise you can't get anything constructive back.

Stoogley:Thank you for the advice. My target audience I hope to shift to people eventually but at the time being it is towards livestock (Making sure you can tell what they are, their markings, and other details used for advertisements for selling the animal). You may be wondering why I photograph animals if that is not what I intend to be my target audience. Mostly it's because my Grandfather and other family members believe there is a need for good livestock photographs.

I have a Canon Powershot SX130. I know it sounds like a joke to use a compact for paid photography but I'm having to work with what I've got.

I would but I don't have any shot's because I haven't had anyone contact me about my photography.

Also, I do not believe that just because you ask a question you are not ready.

How long have you been shooting for? You could give some sample work, you would get a better idea if anyone thinks you're ready.

You don't have to spend your entire life waiting. But you have to realize that chances are you don't have the technical know-how, the equipment, or the business etiquette to start a formal business. You're probably getting ahead of yourself, and you have to realize that when you pick up a camera it doesn't automatically make you a "photographer". If you don't have a license that also severely restricts what you can provide for photographic services.

If you have a great portfolio that speaks louder than your age, then great. But if I saw a 15 or 16 year old boy or girl approaching me and asking if I wanted photographic services, I'd tell them to stay in school.

Take it one step at a time, you're really young and you're not going to die before you're ready to start a photography business if that's the route you want to take.

I would but I don't have any shot's because I haven't had anyone contact me about my photography.

Okay, this confirms that you are not ready. A portfolio would be one of the first things to work on, and you shouldn't be charging people to build your portfolio if it's not even started yet.

Most reactions

Back