How do I take a photo like this?

the.last.gladiator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone tell me How do I take photos like this...

Mozammel Haque Photography, A hobbyist wedding photographer in Bangladesh

Upon entering the site U will see a flash of wedding photography. Several pictures that has been taken were having the subject taken in color with complete black background. For example the second photo shows a groom and brides hand holding together with black background.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this while taking photographs during weddings, or is it done while post processing in any editing software. If so how? :confused:

Option one - close up on the groom and use his tux as a black background
Option two - find a black curtain, wall or something and shoot against it, keeping the DOF rules in mind
Option three - setup a black curtain and shoot against it
Option four - use a flash, under expose the background and light the subject properly
Option five - have some fun with the selection tools in photoshop and remove the background

Not sure they would all work in the same situations, but just brainstorming...

Thanks a lot for the reply...
I will try to experiment with option one and option four. I was experimenting with flash and lighting techniques but that was not producing a complete black background which left me to try some post processing. I am not that much efficient in editing in photoshop but am trying to learn this method at the least. The technique creates nice photo for the albums of wedding.

But I am just wondering whether it will be a nice or valid way to carry a black curtain for taking wedding photograph where I wish to catch the natural moments of wedding (sorry I forgot to mention I needed this method specifically for wedding photography).

Also I have seen when I have used the selection tools in photoshop it doesn't produce the natural borders of the skin and hair, I mean the selected or cut borders are identifiable and the natural part of it is gone.

Any ways as per your reply I will be trying more with thw lighting techniques.

Thanks again, and if you have any more better ideas please let me know as I wish to know the technique.:thumbup:

I see two shots where what would appear to be a black background are actually the grooms (or someones) tuxedo. If you look you can see a vertical "line" of light between the bride and groom in the hand photo. Others look like they could be achieved by using OCF in relatively dark room to overpower all ambient light, making the bride the only illuminated subject. Just my thoughts, I'm sure the PP done on the images helps to enhance the effect as well.

I was experimenting with flash and lighting techniques but that was not producing a complete black background which left me to try some post processing.
Now remember: the shutter speed controls the ambient light. So I would say you need to be in high speed sync for this. Or set it at your maximum shutter speed, mine is 1/250, and increase the f/stops till you get rid of all ambient light. Then dial up your flash to meet your f/stop. Then just try and get a flash of light right where you want it, the hands. And everything else that isnt illuminated by the flash will be black(ish) and you can do quite a lot in post.

Thanks Scatterbrained, I had over looked them.

Thanks to you redtippmann. I was and still trying out the same way for the past few days, setting high shutter speed and increasing f stops. But the point which I am still thinking is, while taking photos of the bride and groom, I have mae the stand and do a sort of posing because to make a directional and accurate fall of flash light. Its ok but still I am wondering if could make it natural , that is taking the photo without making the bride and groom pose for this on their wedding day as they have a hectic schedule to follow and also are the center of attraction on that day. Any ways for getting some unique shots I can do that while I make an exclusive shoot of them when the main marriage ceremony is over. Thanks again.:blushing:

Thanks to you redtippmann. I was and still trying out the same way for the past few days, setting high shutter speed and increasing f stops. But the point which I am still thinking is, while taking photos of the bride and groom, I have mae the stand and do a sort of posing because to make a directional and accurate fall of flash light. Its ok but still I am wondering if could make it natural , that is taking the photo without making the bride and groom pose for this on their wedding day as they have a hectic schedule to follow and also are the center of attraction on that day. Any ways for getting some unique shots I can do that while I make an exclusive shoot of them when the main marriage ceremony is over. Thanks again.:blushing:
If the B&G are paying you to take good photos, they have to expect to pose, or at least spend some time with you away from the crowd for some artful candid shots. I still remember spending about an hour after my reception running all over the place with our wedding photographer taking pictures at preselected locations.
You could also have an assistant set up your gear early in a convenient location.

If the B&G are paying you to take good photos, they have to expect to pose, or at least spend some time with you away from the crowd for some artful candid shots. I still remember spending about an hour after my reception running all over the place with our wedding photographer taking pictures at preselected locations.
You could also have an assistant set up your gear early in a convenient location.

+1

Also, if you do take them to a preselected location your best bet for killing the ambient is to find the darkest room possible. This will make focusing a bit tougher, but controlling flash bounce a lot easier. Bring some snoots and grids, flags, gobos and you'll be able to bounce excess light away.

Being able to avoid closing your aperture all the way means that you will need less flash power, thus being able to get a blackened background while still not having tons of light bouncing all over.

This is what I did for a shoot last week, I was bored and asked my gf to pose for a couple of shots to test this exact concept out. Basically all I had to use was a dark room, one white foam core board, and one vivitar 285. Set the flash to 1/4 power and bounced it onto the white board which reflected onto her (shooting the rest of the light to her left, which I was not getting into the photo)
stephpalmfbpic.jpg

Thanks all ... I will get you know when I get my desired shot..

Most reactions

Back