What's new

How do i take pictures of Ice Skating?

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My campus is having a free ice skating night and I just got a call from the paper asking me to take pictures at it for the campus paper.

I have never taken ice skating before and I already know Im going to have a problem with my white balance and being too bright.

Just low ISO and fast shutter?

any other advice?

thanks
 
It's hard to say without knowing how much light you'll be able to present to the image sensor.

It would be nice to know what focal length lens, and it's maximum available aperture, you intend to use and if the camera has a full size or a crop sensor.

It also sounds like you don't intend to use any strobed lighting.

A benefit of shooting at an ice rink is the big natural reflector the ice makes.
 
Get a very fast telephoto lens (rent one if the paper pays for it).

Standard zoom lenses will drive you nuts (too slow). The lens can't be fast enough in situations like these.

I haven't had the chance to shoot ice skaters before but I assume that you gotta be quick in terms of focusing and exposure times.

You might get away to shoot at ISO 800 and with the smallest aperture you might be able to zoom in and still get 1/100 or maybe even a bit faster with enough light available (assuming your not using strobes). All given that you are able to nail the focus.

Good luck!
 
too late now and all the images were too "hot"
the best glass i have is 70-200mm 2.8 L

I tried a few kelvin pictures and got a few good colored ones but composition is shot.

never doing ice again, hell I hate shooting snow pictures as well.


btw i have a cannon 50d
 
You will need a fast lens, iso3200 minimum 1/250
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom