How do people record real videos with Canon SLR?

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, how do I record longer with my SLR. I know there's a 12min or 4gb limit on HD recording due to the file system, so how do some people professionally record long length videos with these cameras? I currently use a Canon 60D, and planning on upgrading to a class 10 memory card, but that wouldn't bypass this limitation.

they sell 32GB and 64GB cards

I think it's just 4Gb per file for FAT32. I can't imagine anyone who is making professional video's would have shots that long, considering the Average Shot Length of a movie is about 10 seconds. 3 seconds on average for a news story.

My friend who shoot wedding videos use multiple cameras to cover different angles as well as the 12 mins limit.

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws. In alot of cases you will be better to buy that cheap video-recorder or even an iPhone4 will do a much better job and not to mention the size difference.

I posted an unedited vid of me biking down whistler mountain with an iPhone 3Gs which doesn't have the video quality of an iPhone4.

Last edited by a moderator:
The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws. In alot of cases you will be better to buy that cheap video-recorder or even an iPhone4 will do a much better job and not to mention the size difference.

I posted an unedited vid of me biking down whistler mountain with an iPhone 3Gs which doesn't have the video quality of an iPhone4.

How do you figure that an iPhone 4 would have superior video quality to a DSLR? Maybe if you're not interested in quality, an iPhone 4 or Flip video camera would suffice. But if video is just a gimmick, why do companies like Redrock (as Keith pointed out) exist, why do camera manufacturers improve upon the video functionality with almost every release of a camera?

I used to think it was gimmicky back when I had a T1i, but now with all the advancements that have been made (exposure and aperture control, 24p, etc) it's kind of hard to NOT take them seriously. They still have some flaws (not denying that), but I've seen a lot of great short films produced with DSLRs.

Ginu said:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvLvewDXdc

I have an iPhone 4 and a canon hv10 camcorder, but under the right settings and lens, my canon 60d can do better than both of them.

How do you figure that an iPhone 4 would have superior video quality to a DSLR? Maybe if you're not interested in quality, an iPhone 4 or Flip video camera would suffice. But if video is just a gimmick, why do companies like Redrock (as Keith pointed out) exist, why do camera manufacturers improve upon the video functionality with almost every release of a camera?

I used to think it was gimmicky back when I had a T1i, but now with all the advancements that have been made (exposure and aperture control, 24p, etc) it's kind of hard to NOT take them seriously. They still have some flaws (not denying that), but I've seen a lot of great short films produced with DSLRs.

Its simple, DSLR's cant AF automatically, not to mention the camera is designed to take pictures not movie so the controls are not friendly in that aspect.
I respect companies like Redrock but lets face it, are you going to drop a ton of cash on mods to modify a DSRL to take good video and sound? In my eyes spending the same cash if no less on a dedicated video-recorder will always give a better result in the end; not to mention the resale value of the device vs DSLR video mods...
Just because a few companies provide gimmicks and upgrades to mod DSLR's doesn't necessarily mean much... after-all any company wants to make $ so obviously they will provide services to make the $ anyway they can.

Another issue with DSLR's is the time which you can record which if I am not mistaken is limited to 5 minutes, something which will not happen with a designated proper cam.

I am aware technology is changing but this part is not quite there yet... at least in my eyes, and this comes from someone with an animation/film background (granted my education is over 10 years old).

I would really like to see someone who is willing to lug around a modded DSLR rig to take a couple of videos... Its not enough we need a few lens and camera bodies to cover proper focal lengths, lets lug around another pack of video-mods for the DSLR, when I can just instead pull out the smartphone or compact video camera and start shooting video.

Want to shoot video? my suggestion is to stick to a proper intended video rig and the results will be better.

a single 12min take is lonnnnnnnnng.
cut it up and edit...that's why 5min of HD at a time is fine for me.

*edited to add...*

this is currently one of my favorite amateur vids shot with a d90

I suppose a good reason for doing video with a dSLR is shallow DoF. Recorders (and their lenses) able to do the same are much more expensive.

I have an iPhone 4 and a canon hv10 camcorder, but under the right settings and lens, my canon 60d can do better than both of them.

I think there are a few more factors which will not give you the best picture/sound quality in a DSLR besides the lens and settings... keep in mind audio capabilities of a DSLR, screen limitations (cant view through viewfinder and lcd), vibration devices which are not as efficient as video camera stabilizers, codecs, real time output, proper powerzooms, ND filters... list can go on and on.
The only one feature which is achieved with a DSLR while shooting video is the nice shallow DOF which makes the shoot very unique.

In a few more years I will most likely look at the video capabilities of a DSRL more seriously, but for now I will resort to a dedicated device for this type of task.

I am not by any means saying don't take videos with a DSLR, but dont sell your video equipment thinking that a DSLR will do it all. Technology is not quite there yet. If the shooter is into a lot of editing and wants something unique, then taking videos with a DSLR is the answer.

I suppose a good reason for doing video with a dSLR is shallow DoF. Recorders (and their lenses) able to do the same are much more expensive.

Bingo!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back