How do people record real videos with Canon SLR?

DSLR's are for videographers and are definately not for filming the simple shots of the kids.
I have a videocam and a DSLR, but my DSLR beats my videocam in imagequality and image stabilizing.

The benefits of shooting video on a DSLR are not really for people looking to shoot long continuous videos. They are, however a fantastic tool for cinematography applications. The DOF, ability to change lenses, and the size of the sensor make them superior in most ways to any consumer level videocamera as far as image quality. The sensors in these cameras are many times the size of every camcorder in their pricerange, usually offering superior low-light capabilities. No they dont have autofocus, but any cinematographer who would use AF is an amateur. A good follow-focus rig is what you need. Plan your shots. And power zoom? No way. Most DSLR shooters rely on prime lenses or set their zooms to one focal length per shot. The codecs most use is AVCHD, which is MPEG 4 H.264 and can be transcoded into anything else quite well. As far as audio, nobody in their right mind would use on camera audio for a professional project, even with the most expensive of cameras, unless they were doing interviews or something, in which case, plugging a reciever into a DSLR is not a problem. As with most video cameras, the onboard mic sucks. but they arent audio recorders, they are video recorders, so get something separate and sync later.
Check out some of the films made on cameras like the 5d, 7d, t2i, etc and realize these are extremely capale of beautiful cinematic imagery.

I suppose a good reason for doing video with a dSLR is shallow DoF. Recorders (and their lenses) able to do the same are much more expensive.
How much shallow DOF do you see being used on TV and in feature films, beyond transition effects?

quite a lot actually. The standard shots with 2 people talking to eachother. One in front speaks and is in focus. The one that listens is out of focus. As soon as the listener responds....follow focus and voila !

How much shallow DOF do you see being used on TV and in feature films, beyond transition effects?

since I started shooting with dSLR I started also to notice DoF management in movies and TV (not always, of course; not in cheap TV films).
By the wayI have a friend that directs some short movie, all in digital, and he adapted a Canon FD lens to camcorder to have shallow DoF, not being able to buy expensive equipment (there are adapters for this too).

Hi, how do I record longer with my SLR. I know there's a 12min or 4gb limit on HD recording due to the file system,

There is no technical limitation to video length or file size on Canon dSLR's. There's a taxation issue with how the EU classifies devices that can record video clips longer than 12 minutes, so manufacturers simply impose a 12 min limit to avoid it. And obviously they don't want to make different versions with different capabilities for different locales, so the rest of the world is stuck with the 12 minute limit thanks to the EU.

And as has been noted by others, 12 minutes is an eternity for a single video clip.

Only real problem I see with the video features in the DSLRs today is the swaying of the image when you pan the camera quickly. The lack of auto focus isn't a problem.

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws. In alot of cases you will be better to buy that cheap video-recorder or even an iPhone4 will do a much better job and not to mention the size difference.

I posted an unedited vid of me biking down whistler mountain with an iPhone 3Gs which doesn't have the video quality of an iPhone4.

You sir, have no idea.

Show me a dedicated video camera that can shoot at 1080p, swap lenses, and have the quality of an HDSLR for under $5,000. If you knew the first thing about professional video, you would know that most movies, shows, videos, etc... are made up of clips edited into coherent scenes. These are clips that are well under 12 minutes in length. Tell me, can your iPhone shoot at 1080p at 60FPS so that the clips can be reduced to 30fps or 24fps for a smooth slow motion effect. Wait, can your iPhone even select which FPS it shoots at. Do you even know what FPS your iPhone shoots at? Ever hear of a follow focus? If not, that makes generally everything that comes out of your mouth in this thread completely irrelevant.

And what are you talking about for resale? All of the mods to make a HDSLR more viable as a proper tool for video are bolt on.

The HDSLR has changed the game in the world of video. This is not something a "gimmick" would do. It's opened avenues for many independent film makers to have a camera that shoots at a quality that cameras costing over 10 times the amount of a DSLR rig can shoot at. Who's going to lug around an HDSLR rig? Well, real videographers. Apparantly you're not one of them.

www.cinema5d.com - Just an example of professionals using a "gimmick" to make music videos, commercials, and other video productions.

Only real problem I see with the video features in the DSLRs today is the swaying of the image when you pan the camera quickly. The lack of auto focus isn't a problem.

Which there are actions in post that can be done to correct this.

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws.

Someone better tell this to the folks that are in the "Biz" before they go and do something silly like film the season finale of a hugely successful television series on a DSLR....... Oops.... Too late.

Canon 5D Mark II used to shoot entire House season finale, director says it's 'the future' -- Engadget

;)

The huge successful TV show House has a slightly different budget than the OP using a Canon 60D....

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws. In alot of cases you will be better to buy that cheap video-recorder or even an iPhone4 will do a much better job and not to mention the size difference.

I posted an unedited vid of me biking down whistler mountain with an iPhone 3Gs which doesn't have the video quality of an iPhone4.

You sir, have no idea.

Show me a dedicated video camera that can shoot at 1080p, swap lenses, and have the quality of an HDSLR for under $5,000. If you knew the first thing about professional video, you would know that most movies, shows, videos, etc... are made up of clips edited into coherent scenes. These are clips that are well under 12 minutes in length. Tell me, can your iPhone shoot at 1080p at 60FPS so that the clips can be reduced to 30fps or 24fps for a smooth slow motion effect. Wait, can your iPhone even select which FPS it shoots at. Do you even know what FPS your iPhone shoots at? Ever hear of a follow focus? If not, that makes generally everything that comes out of your mouth in this thread completely irrelevant.

And what are you talking about for resale? All of the mods to make a HDSLR more viable as a proper tool for video are bolt on.

The HDSLR has changed the game in the world of video. This is not something a "gimmick" would do. It's opened avenues for many independent film makers to have a camera that shoots at a quality that cameras costing over 10 times the amount of a DSLR rig can shoot at. Who's going to lug around an HDSLR rig? Well, real videographers. Apparantly you're not one of them.

www.cinema5d.com - Just an example of professionals using a "gimmick" to make music videos, commercials, and other video productions.

Perhaps you missed the OP... Let me quote his question for you in bold:

Hi, how do I record longer with my SLR. I know there's a 12min or 4gb limit on HD recording due to the file system, so how do some people professionally record long length videos with these cameras? I currently use a Canon 60D, and planning on upgrading to a class 10 memory card, but that wouldn't bypass this limitation.

And your answer is:

You sir, have no idea.

I would like to point out the OP is using a 60D and did not specify anything about 1080p or 60fps from the high end DSLR's.... and quite frankly it doesn't even sound like the OP has access to video editing programs hence why he would want to shoot longer than 12 min per session... For someone with some editing experience and equipment, a ton of short clips are way better than one long one over 12 min as you mentioned above.

The iPhone or the generic HD cam will do quite well for the OP.

For the average user, the video mode of DSLR's is just another sales pitch or a gimmick for now... in time this technology will catch up like it always does, but for now this is still new technology hence just another gimmick.

Now to answer your question, my iPhone takes HD videos quite nicely at 720p and 30fps if I am not mistaken, which happens to be more than enough for the average user.

I hope you realize this thread is about the same as the average Joe asking how to become a pro photographer with a 1000$ budget...

You sir, have no idea.

Perhaps you missed the OP... Let me quote his question for you in bold:

Hi, how do I record longer with my SLR. I know there's a 12min or 4gb limit on HD recording due to the file system, so how do some people professionally record long length videos with these cameras? I currently use a Canon 60D, and planning on upgrading to a class 10 memory card, but that wouldn't bypass this limitation.

And your answer is:

You sir, have no idea.

I would like to point out the OP is using a 60D and did not specify anything about 1080p or 60fps from the high end DSLR's.... and quite frankly it doesn't even sound like the OP has access to video editing programs hence why he would want to shoot longer than 12 min per session... For someone with some editing experience and equipment, a ton of short clips are way better than one long one over 12 min as you mentioned above.

The iPhone or the generic HD cam will do quite well for the OP.

For the average user, the video mode of DSLR's is just another sales pitch or a gimmick for now... in time this technology will catch up like it always does, but for now this is still new technology hence just another gimmick.

Now to answer your question, my iPhone takes HD videos quite nicely at 720p and 30fps if I am not mistaken, which happens to be more than enough for the average user.

I hope you realize this thread is about the same as the average Joe asking how to become a pro photographer with a 1000$ budget...

I realize what the OP posted. You posted that video in a DSLR was a gimmick.

Maybe you should take a look at some video forum such as Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum. There are people switching their gears to DSLR (i.e. T2i/T3i) from Video cam.

Before the DSLR with video feature, those guys were buying adapter to mount a DSLR lens to their video cam.

So if someone is not so serious about video and need to record clips that longer than 12 mins (heat is another issue), a video cam is a better. If someone with a lower budget and want to take their video to another level, DSLR with video feature just make sense. Of course, once you pimp the camera up, it will do the job.

The DSLR video function works very well for the person who knows how to use it, the length of video is based off of the memory care size. You should be able to record about 30 min with a 64 gig card. The 2010 season finale of House was recorded using the 5DM2.
1. House season finale shot entirely with Canon 5DmkII | Philip Bloom
Apr 10, 2010 ... The season finale of the popular TV show House, which will air on May 17th, ..... May 2, 2010 at 09:53. That's sick :) House on 5Dm2 ! :) ...
philipbloom.net/2010/.../house-season-finale-shot-entirely-with-canon- 5dmkii/ -

Most reactions

New Topics

Back