How do you apply a GND filter in PS CS6?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm finally sitting down and trying to learn CS6 and it's rough. The learning curve is REEdiculous...

I have a photo that I'd like to add a GND filter to but I don't know how that works in PS. Much easier in LR.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Get yourself onto youtube man

I'm there....:mrgreen:

With CS 6 open, press the F1 key on your keyboard.
Doing so takes you here - Photoshop Help | Help and tutorials
Enter gradient tool as a Search term - Adobe - Search: gradient tool

But you use CS 6's Gradient tool and select the Neutral Density to Clear gradient.

CS 6 has way more gradient options than what Lightroom offers.

Last edited:
I add a new layer, in the soft light blending mode, then fill that using the gradient tool. Mask and/or brush in local adjustments as required.

Yep! Layers, blending modes, precision selection tools, and being able to adjust opacity allow many more options than Lightroom offers.

Yep! Layers, blending modes, precision selection tools, and being able to adjust opacity allow many more options than Lightroom offers.

Undoubtedly. Now, I just have to learn how to use it. Steep learning curve...

Here's a screenshot of the basics ... I smooshed the screen together so it would be a little smaller.

1. Gradient Tool
2. Types of Gradients (default). There is a little circle with rough edges on the right. Click on it for 3.
3. A list of more gradients that can be loaded. You will see the sets on the very bottom, including neutral density.
4. Blending modes and opacity.
5. Gradient. I drew a line straight down from the top. You can draw the line in different ways to get more black/grey/white as well as different angles. It helps to use 50% opacity when you are drawing to see how the gradient will layer over the background.

Hope this helps!

If the sky is blown out you are not going to get any information back by applying a GND filter effect in photo shop. You need to use a GND filter on the lens or take two exposures and blend them in Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back