How do you approach photography?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Overread, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Laika

Laika TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I approach photography from the artistic side (at least I hope I am acheiving that goal :lol:).

Before I really got into photography I did painting, and then I started to take pictures to paint from. Before long I dropped the painting for the most part and made photography my main focus. It became my artistic outlet.

The technical part of photography took me forever to grasp, and I still have problems with it more often that not. Composition came more naturally for me. I really have little idea about artifical lighting, cameras, and lenses. (Which is why I am always reading books and hanging around forums). But I do know what I want to achieve with every picture, and I know how to push the limits of my point and shoot camera to meet my goal.

Journalistic photography usually gives you one chance to capture a moment that is going to pass and then will be gone. I have not developed the knack for this, I am just not quick enough.

2. Bill19

Bill19 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I kind of go in artistically, but i tend to see the art in my photos after i have took them, but if i have time i do think a bit arty before i take them, i tend to like to take photos of things people go past and not notice, and things on different angles... so i dont like doing land scape's that much, because there just there and are always seen.

3. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Usually I have a friend or decoy stand in front of the camera to distract the lens and body, while I approach it by flanking it, getting behind the camera, and then hitting the shutter, all Navy Seal style.

5. Aruzuriel

Aruzuriel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Still new to photography but since the first time I picked up a camera seriously just couldn't stop. I feel although it is neither artistic or journalistic to me. Photography in general I find calming and one of the only times I feel at peace. Whether it be documenting something or something more artistic and set up I am just glad to have a camera in my hands. I approach with an open mind and as ready as I can be for what I get or even just feel like doing.

6. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know, I just look for an interesting angle and push the button.

Well no, not really, your capturing refracted light.

Unless your talking about light painting with a flash light.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I may sometimes TRY to look at it in an artistic way, but in the end I usually come out shooting like you. Not that it's a bad thing.

8. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have an engineering background.

I CAN'T see artistically. Generally it's with broad sweeping shots capturing all the details with it being seriously analyzed after the fact and determined what worked and that process repeated again on the next subject only to realize what worked before has no bearing on the new subject and has to be modified and adjusted before moving on to the next victim.

In the army, they call it "spray and pray".

9. tnvol

tnvol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although I think it is an art, I havent always gone about it in an artistic way. I've always taken pictures of everything no matter where I've been in the world but never really took it seriously. I was just capturing the moment at that time and didnt really care if my pictures meant anything. That changed recently though. I started getting into it pretty heavily about three months ago. I got a decent camera and started to learn the basics and have started to put them to use to "create" more so than just snapping pics of cool things. I'm having a blast.

10. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I take a purely artist approach. I want the world to be seen the way I see it. I want people to understand what it is I see. I want them to experience a world that would have otherwise passed them by. For me, it is about the experience, the Joy and passion. No two people see the same thing the same way. I don't have the most expensive equipment. I do not have the money required to obtain the best lenses. What I do have is a passion to take what I posses and catch that one glimpse that fades away such as a dream fades the instant the dreamer awakes.

Daniel Sach
    Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

11. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For me it's all about the light. On days when I can slow down and really watch the light, that's when I see images I want to shoot. Some artist once said that when he saw the world naively, as a child, was when he was at his best...I think there's something to this!
    I wrote an article about this on my blog you might like too.

12. SonnarSphere

SonnarSphere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

! don't feel shallow. this is a great reason.. with maximum options.

i like handling and using cameras..the objectivity of it. i like how optical devices see and render
    the world, how time can be defined visually, how things can be characterised..subjectively.
    how a moment can be visually and emotionally re-experienced later-on. and shown to others.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009