How do you carry your tripod?/Travel tripod recommendation

Brick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Disclaimer: I realize there are a million tripod threads out there. I've spent the past two days reading them and these are the questions I still have. :p

Currently I use a big, heavy, cheap tripod that I carry in the trunk of my car, but I'm going to Ireland in a few weeks and I need something that I can travel with a bit easier. I've narrowed it down to three choices

Slik | Pro 340 BH 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-200DQ | 613344 | B&H

Manfrotto | 7302YB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ | 7302YB | B&H

Manfrotto | 190XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with | 190XDB,804RC2

The Silk and Manfrotto 7302YB are short and light which seem good for carrying, but searching through old posts the 190XDB seems to be a popular recommendation for a tripod in general - although 4 inches longer and 2lb heavier. I don't really care much about height of the tripod since I'm short and I shoot with a wired shutter release. The 7302YB also has a permanent head, which is not optimal as I'd eventually like to get a joystick ballhead. If anyone has been in a similar situation or travels with one of those, any input would be appreciated. I don't live near any good camera shops so trying out different models is not in the cards.

The main reason for the post is that I'd like to hear how you all carry your tripod. The silk does not come with a bag but the Manfrotto's do (not sure how nice the bag is) and a search for "tripod bag" on the forum came up with nothing. Are there nice tripod bags out there? I also read a review where someone clipped their tripod to their belt. Sounds kinda dangerous to my ankles. Any other ideas?

My camera bag is a Crumpler 7 million so it won't fit in there and I'm not sure how carrying two shoulder bags will work. I suppose I could always carry it and twirl it around like a baton. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and also I shoot a d90 with sigma 10-20mm.

Also, yes I have read the tripod 101 by Thom Hogan... all the way through... twice. :mrgreen: But I don't have $1000 to spend. <$200 is about all I can spare at the moment.

Brick
I have mentioned before, that the weight difference of the ones you have shown will not really make much difference.

You can put a strap on the tripod and hang it over your shoulder if the weight does become an issue.

I guess it really comes down to what kind of shape one is in....

P.S.
I have a camera strap on my tripod. I have only used the strap 1 time. When climbing down a mountain, and I wanted to make time. Otherwise I carry the tripod. Some may think it is an inconvenience, but it really is not.

Yes, there are many tripod bags...
tripod bag

I carry a tripod in a padded tripod bag, I think it came with a cheap tripod I got as a birthday present a while back.

For air travel, you will likely want to put your tripod in your suitcase (checked luggage).

How I carry my tripod depends on the situation. If I'm backpacking, it is strapped to the backpack. If I'm just out for the day, it is strapped to my back. And you probably have a strap around the house you can use for that purpose, with a little imagination.

Can't help you much with the choice of tripod because it has been a very long time since I've bought one. Just make sure it is solid or it is useless. And make sure it fits in your suitcase.

When I flew to a backpacking trip, I made a tube out of cpvc pipe for the plane ride so it wouldn't get damaged in transit.

Have fun in Ireland. Beautiful country.

Have you considered a good monopod instead? Unless you are shooting in quite dark situations with a little technique practice a monopod might cover most of your needs.

Have you considered a good monopod instead? Unless you are shooting in quite dark situations with a little technique practice a monopod might cover most of your needs.

A monopod is on a (long) list of things I'd like, however, I shoot a lot of HDR and long exposure night shots that put a good tripod higher on the list.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far - all very appreciated!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back