How do you compare the quality of one lens to another?

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
So I bought a new lens and am happy with it, but I was just wondering how I could go about comparing its quality to another...even if only to reassure myself that the money was well spent :) I don't have test charts, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

--Sean

Tape some news paper to a wall and shoot the newspaper with the camera on a tripod (remote or self timer as well). Shoot at several apertures. Repeat with other lens...then compare the shots.

You could also place various items of different colour and texture in the frame, also turn off auto settings either in camera or in software for a better comparison. Autofocus is probably best tested outside at various subjects, stationary and moving, in varying levels of available light. In fact I'd recommend using both lenses in everyday shooting situations rather than trying to set up a controlled test; that way you might get a better idea of other factors like bokeh, flare etc too.

Just shoot with it. If your images are looking better now you did good. You can do all the rigid tests using charts and light and tripods, but if that doesn't translate to your everyday shooting, what's the point? Use it, compare shots taken with the new lens to older shots.

Most reactions

Back