How do you cover a huge event such as olympics?

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So as I watched the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony and other events I was wondering what is the system to cover all aspects of these huge events. Could one of the pros on this forum please explain this briefly?

Obviously there is a huge amount of photographers - how are their jobs divided? Do all of them shoot what they like or is one in charge for wide angle shots, one for close-ups, one for sports action, another one for portraits in the medal ceremony etc.?

How does this work? Who's in charge for what? How do you ensure that not all photographers are photographing the same thing?

I'm just curious - thank you for an explanation in advance! =)

I'd be willing to bet that these folks are all shooting "on assignment". Someone like Sports Illustrated or USA Today (or whoever) tells their photographer "Okay, we need photos of the fencing match between Masialas and Le Pechoux."

Then they show up.

Of course, I'm sure it's far more involved than that, but my point is that there's a sort of choreography amongst the various media outlets which ensures they're getting the shots they need...

The main man in charge of all photography at the Olympics is renown Uk sports photographer Bob Martin, he and his team have been working on it for the last 3 years working out shooting positition take the equestrian event at Greenwich Park one side of the areana has been left open so they can shoot looking down on the Queens house, the observatory and Canary Wharf

Most of the photographers aren't shooting for the Olympics. They are shooting for some type of media outlet, or on speculation as an accredited freelancer. The photographers will be from all over the world.

The photographers will have had to go through an application process to get the documentation required to gain access to the venues and the areas reserved for photographers to shoot from. At most venues photographers will only be allowed in specified locations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back