How do you deal with the fear of having your gear stolen?

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody

I'll try to explain my situation and hopefully some of you may have an advice for me :)

A couple of months ago I bought my first DSLR... And now, when I should be going outside as much as time permits, sometimes I find myself reluctant to take out my gear depending where I'm going.

The thing is... getting the money to buy it wasn't easy. So, if it gets stolen, it's not like I can replace it anytime soon...

I'd like to be able to take my camera everywhere I go, but when you live in a big city like Buenos Aires, sometimes that can be challenging.
Now, I've been to enough "big cities" in the world to know it's not just about my city. So, I'd like to know how you deal with this situation...

I find some of my friends here going through the same problem... any advice?
It will be much appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing

Get yourself insurance on the gear against theft and accidental damage etc...

You should be able to get a separate insurance policy which shouldn't got you too much or there might be national photography groups you can join which will give you a discount on a group rate for insurance. There is also the option of a rider on your home-owners insurance, but be careful with this latter one. Insurance companies don't like people that actually claim and you won't need many claims on the insurance before your costs might rise up rapidly or worse you end up on a blacklist; companies not wanting to insure you and giving you very very high costs if they will.
Against that you've got to remember that against a big household claim your camera replacement costs are tiny; so there is even less intensive to actually claim on a homeowners rider. Better to pay for insurance which you can claim on without fears of losing insurance on your whole home.

I carry. Stealing my stuff will cause lead poisoning. Problem solved.

i have been to BA several times and would always carry my camera but i was covered with insurance. I don't speak Spanish and didn't know the area but I never worried. That is not true in Rio, where the driver wouldn't stop at some places and when he did would get out of the car and stand behind me.

So, I understand your feelings.

I live in a large city and we have areas in town I would not go by myself with any camera, and then I have been in places all over the world where I never felt worried.

Pay attention to your instincts. you know in your city what/where may be risky. Take a friend with you when you go out shooting, and if at possible have your camera insured.

Last edited:
I have insurance for everything, damage or theft. The biggest thing though is being aware of what/who is around you and use a little common sense.

For the times I'm on the road, if I'm in the truck it's covered under a blanket so no one can see anything through the tinted windows. For those times I need to absolutely leave it in the car I have disabled the trunk switch in the car so if they break a window they can't pop the trunk, it's just as easy for me to open it with the remote lock for me. I don't move things around in public so people can see what I've got. At games and such I use a cable lock along with my camera bag, which locks, and lock the bag of gear I may need to the scorers table or someplace where I know there will always be someone.

When I'm out in the woods hiking....... well, I have a different insurance policy that I carry for that.
399690705.jpg

I have insurance for everything, damage or theft. The biggest thing though is being aware of what/who is around you and use a little common sense.

For the times I'm on the road, it's in the truck it's covered under a blanket so no one can see anything through the tinted windows. For those times I need to absolutely leave it in the car I have disabled the trunk switch in the car so if they break a window they can't pop the trunk, it's just as easy to open it with the remote lock for me. I don't move things around in public so people can see what I've got. At games and such I use a cable lock along with my camera bag, which locks, and lock the bag of gear I may need to the scorers table or someplace where I know there will always be someone.

When I'm out in the woods hiking....... well, I have a different insurance policy that I carry for that.
399690705.jpg

Looks familiar.............

DSC_3587.jpg

This is what I carry:

SW38.jpg

ICarry.jpg

I'm with you guys :thumbup:

My winter carry -

zzzzzz1022desertMedium.jpg

I'm anticipating the anti-self defense crowd to jump on this thread.... :D

Yeah, considering we'll all a bunch of mentally-imbalanced nutcases.

Most reactions

Back