How do you edit your photos ?

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi TPF,

Alright so i have been shooting now for about 9 months give or take and loving every minute of it, however, I have never really been able to edit my photos much, now I just recently (about 2-3 months ago) started using Picasa3. This editing program does have some neat things that can turn my pictures into "masterpieces ?". But I am just curious what are some other cool programs that can really transform a photograph. NO PHOTOSHOP PLEASE.

Thanks

Why no Photoshop? It's about the coolest image editing program out there.

A less expensive alternative to Adobe's Photoshop is Corel's Paintshop.

Have you used a search engine and looked for other open source image editing software?

Have you used the forums search feature?

Use the search term 'GIMP'.

The software that comes with your camera can do wonder. The canon one can pretty much do adjustment of what Lightroom 3 can do! I am not sure why a lot of people dont bother checking it out.

Well KmH, I have used photoshop before and I am not too fond of it, and Schwettylens just a quick sidenote, I think you have commented on all of my threads so I just want to say thank you, you have helped me the most on TPF. I happened to buy my camera used so I didn't get the editing software. The lady I bought it from did however give me a London Drugs editing guide :er:. She said she didn't need it anymore, she found it and gave it to me.

I think you first need to understand that editing programs can only enhance a photo that is already masterpiece. You're not going to be able to take some random photo off your hard drive and turn it into a masterpiece by running it through some program. Having said that, pretty much every photo needs to have some type of editing done to it in order to really shine. Picasa is very limited in what it can do, but what more can you really expect from a free piece of software.

I'm curious, why you say "NO PHOTOSHOP PLEASE." Especially considering it's basically the standard when it comes to photo editing. If it's a cost thing, you can get Elements for almost 1/10 the cost that does 90% of what a photographer might need. Almost any other program out there is photoshopesque in one way or another, so I don't think it's because you don't think it's a good program.

Another editing program you might consider is GIMP. It's pretty popular, has a lot of the features that full photoshop has, but it's free. I guess I should ask, what are you wanting to do? If it's just basic editing, Picasa will work just fine. If you want more control, something like Photoshop (either full or Elements) or GIMP might be the way to go. If you're looking at more specialized programs, then it really depends on what you want to do.

I hope I helped some. You had a pretty vague questions, and some clarification would be helpful, if possible.

Hi TPF,

But I am just curious what are some other cool programs that can really transform a photograph. NO PHOTOSHOP PLEASE.

Thanks

Well I use Photoshop to answer your initial question but there are a lot of editors and specialty programs out there.

Here's a list to get you started.
28 Online Photo Editing Websites To have Fun With

I haven't tried any of these and I'm not endorsing any of them, just putting them out there for you.

Have Fun ;)

Woah Gaerek, man you just took it to a whole nother level! I like it! First off thanks alot for the input really appreciate it and it definately helped my man. I have used photoshop before but not particularely for editing my work, and yes I understand the masterpiece ordeal. Yes photoshop is a ver expensive editing program in my eyes, and also my computer probably won't be able to run it.
I am currently doing night photography and some portraits. I like the whole long exposure concept so thats what i'm in for mostly.

Hah nice one schwetty :) yeah I am deifnately looking into it now, maybe photoshop isn't such a bad idea after all huh. Thanks Steve01 I will definately check out those 28 programs for sure!

Last edited:
GIMP is free and can do a lot.

I use GIMP, Paint Shop Pro 7 and Paint Shop Pro X

I've seen many people use gimp; mainly because it's free but it does the job. I'm a photoshop guy myself for years now, I can't see myself using anything else. I have even hesitated switching/trying Lightroom.

I've seen many people use gimp; mainly because it's free but it does the job. I'm a photoshop guy myself for years now, I can't see myself using anything else. I have even hesitated switching/trying Lightroom.

You only use Lightroom to explore and adjust photo. If you see something that needs to be photoshopped out then just right click the photo and edit with Photoshop. You use them together. You dont have clone tool on Lightroom (if there is, I did not know about it because I am still new to LR3)

You only use Lightroom to explore and adjust photo. If you see something that needs to be photoshopped out then just right click the photo and edit with Photoshop. You use them together. You dont have clone tool on Lightroom (if there is, I did not know about it because I am still new to LR3)

Ah, see I use bridge for the exploring/organizing part of my workflow, then photoshop for everything else. I've seen the interface on lightroom and though it is simplified, I like having everything in one application. That's just me though :lol: Plus, I know photoshop well enough I can find just about everything I need in a snap.

Ok.. then tell me your step process on photoshop on how to add your signature on hundreds of your photos for web use?

Ok.. then tell me your step process on photoshop on how to add your signature on hundreds of your photos for web use?

For that I've recorded a custom action which will place a watermark on an image in a few seconds? If that's what you mean. One click it adds my logo and name.

Most reactions

Back