How do you find locations?

PAQueen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to offer my 110 year old home for some photo shoots and was wondering how you as photographers find locations. I am not trying to advertise myself here just looking for avenues to get connected and have an idea as to what the photographer is looking for when thinking about a location. My friend who is an amateur photographer took some pics of myself and the family and everyone who looks at them talks about my house and land more than us lol. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Walking or driving around, although I don't do a whole lot of location shooting at this time. And I have never paid for a location.

Not to say that you can't get paid for the use of your property but you would have to treat it as a business which would include having business liability insurance if anything happens to the crew while on location. You would also need to advertise it, probably through direct mail to photogs who use locations such as yours (meaning a lot of work looking through the portfolios of NYC photogs) or mass mailing through mailing lists bought from photogs organizations at a premium price.

But before you do anything, you may want to think long and hard about what it's like to have 10-20 people showing up on shoot day at your house who all need to use your bathroom the whole day long...

Plus, depending on the type of shoot, they may need a room for make-up purposes, one or two more for dressing rooms, access to the kitchen for lunch preparation, the dining room for a place to eat, etc. Basically, they'll be all over the place. Are you ready for them?

Now, of course, I'm painting the worst case scenario but, let's be honest, photoshoots are not the best in a house you live in, lol.

Now, of course, I'm painting the worst case scenario but, let's be honest, photoshoots are not the best in a house you live in, lol.

Unless you have a pool and it's a Hawaiian Tropic calendar shoot. That can't be all bad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back