How do you freeze one person with strobes and have others blurred in motion?

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did that make sense?

Okay, I am shooting a reality TV person tomorrow. We're shooting in her space and I am using my strobes. I want the woman well-lit and in focus, while the other little girls running around her to be blurred. Is this possible when using flash? I have not seen the space but I am assuming that it is going to be dark (a restaurant) so I will need my lights.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks to everyone!

Use two different exposures, one with strobes and only subject and another exposure using constant light for the little girls? Using a tripod of course and then merge the two images? Or just try using constant light and see if the subject can stand still long enough while the girls run around. I don't think just a strobe can work

Use rear-synch curtain flash, make sure she is standing still and the people around her moving fast. Use a slower shutter speed of around 1/15th.

Voila, she is in focus and they have motion blur.

No need fo fancy double exposures. Thought that works, its just a lot more work and not really needed.

Use rear-synch curtain flash, make sure she is standing still and the people around her moving fast. Use a slower shutter speed of around 1/15th.

Voila, she is in focus and they have motion blur.

No need fo fancy double exposures. Thought that works, its just a lot more work and not really needed.

Jerry, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea what rear-synch curtain flash is. Also, with this technique, I will be able to use my lights, no?

I just read up on rear curtain sync. I have a Nikon D70, and in my manual, it says that rear curtain sync cannot be used with studio flash systems, as the correct synchronization cannot be obtained.

Guess I'll have to test it out. I hope it works!!!

slow sync and use snoots and gobos to make sure none of the strobe light spills onto anyone else walking around

I just read up on rear curtain sync. I have a Nikon D70, and in my manual, it says that rear curtain sync cannot be used with studio flash systems, as the correct synchronization cannot be obtained.

Guess I'll have to test it out. I hope it works!!!

How are you triggering the studio strobes? Wireless triggers or flash triggers?

You don't need strobes...
Just drag the shutter, and tell her to stand still. 1/15 or so should be good if the little kids are fast.
If you really gotta though, gobos could help...but you'd still want to drag the shutter.

You don't need strobes...
Just drag the shutter, and tell her to stand still. 1/15 or so should be good if the little kids are fast.
If you really gotta though, gobos could help...but you'd still want to drag the shutter.

Works for me too.

Leave your lights in the car.

slow sync and use snoots and gobos to make sure none of the strobe light spills onto anyone else walking around

I'd do this as well. Even if you can't do a rear curtain sync, your flash on the subject will freeze the image as long as she stays relatively still.

Most reactions

Back