How do you get portriat looking pictures?

vickie.james

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am fairly new to photography, been trying to do it for about a year now. I still can't get my pictures to look like more than a snapshot. I have a Canon 5DMark II camera with the Canon 24-70L lens. I have tried shooting in all the modes. I'm just not satisfied with the pics I am getting. Anybody have any tips?

The key to professional looking portraits is the lighing and the posing.

You will need to upload an example for us to offer any specific tips.

It's all about light. If you're using a flash, get it off-camera. If you're using ambient light, pay attention to where it's coming from and where it's not, and invest in some reflectors so you can take control of the light.

That said, the best way for us to help you would be to post some examples of what you've already done, and let us give you some specific advice. You'll need tough skin though, because sometimes experienced photographers will point out flaws in your work that you wouldn't have even considered, and if you're not ready for it, it can sting.

The key to professional looking portraits is the lighing and the posing.

You will need to upload an example for us to offer any specific tips.

Check that out, I said what you said but took four times as long to say it. Hmm. :p

Welcome to the forum.

It's been said already...Light.
Photography literally means 'drawing with light'.

Also consider what length of lens to use. A longer length will cause you to take a few steps back but flatten features in a pleasing way. DOF is also something to consider.

subject
lighting
lens
editing.

I'm new to Portraiture myself :)

It's because the 5D mark II doesn't have a portrait mode, it's primarily a landscape camera. You need a rebel or something that has 'portrait shooting mode' built in.

Here is what I'm talking about:

t2i-portrait-mode.gif

You're joking, right? ^^

1 year+ experience, $3,500 in camera gear, and they even tried "shooting in all of the modes."

OP is the one who's joking.

I am so hesitant to post on threads here at TPF as there are so many trolling threads.... specially from low count posters

I mean, someone invests money for a 5D2, a 24-70 (so what, $4500?) and doesn't know how to use them or even the basics? Either the salesman at the store she bought them at needs to be promoted to manager, or someone is just phishing around.

Until actual pictures are actually posted, I refuse to say anything (other than what I have already said) :)

I learned from the best that you just rotate your camera 90 degree that will give you "portrait" orientation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back