What's new

How do you guys handle temp changes?

jeveretts

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
63
Reaction score
13
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all, let me say that I have dumped my DSLR kit (60D) and bought a Nex-6 setup and I am LOVING IT! I bought the two Sony zooms, the 16-50 and the 55-210, and while they aren't spectacular lenses, they get me shooting and having fun. But what is really fun is getting the adapters and picking up cheap vintage glass and playing with it. Focus peaking is fantastic with old lenses. I am having a blast!
Anyhoo.. I keep my camera kit in my house, here in Florida. But if I go outside everything fogs over. I even put it in my motorcycle luggage the other day, and after a half hour of riding, I pulled the camera out, and everything fogged. I guess my case acts as a bit of a cooler. This is driving me a little batty. If I see a hawk in the back yard, I gotta forget about it, because it will take 15 mins for the fog to dissipate on my sensor and lens elements.
What do you guys do?

Oh, and here are a few of my favorite (beginner) pics with the Nex! Hope you enjoy!

XN16nFL.jpg

wvdMcOt.jpg

7jUlL46.jpg
 
When going from cool to humid and hot condensation will form.

Putting your camera/lens is a zip lock bag just before going out into not/humid keeps the humidity away.
Once the camera/lens has warmed up to the higher temperature condensation will no longer form.

The key temperature is known as the Dew Point. Once the gear is warmer than the Dew Point - no more condensation.
 
Yes, the typical advice for avoiding condensation is to use a zip-lock bag around your gear. Let the gear warm up before exposing it to the warm/humid air. Leaving it zipped in a camera bag isn't as good, but will usually suffice....but the padding does make it act like a cooler, requiring a lot more time for it warm up.

Also, it's a good idea to keep some fresh desiccant packs in your camera bag, so that if there is any moisture left on the camera when you put it away, it won't get funky in the bag.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom