How do you know when it's time to upgrade your camera?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now I pretty much have the lowest level entry-level dSLR (Nikon D3100). I feel like I have outgrown the camera and am ready for a new one. It's not a case not being able to take good pictures with the camera, because I've gotten some amazing shots with it. Rather, I think I've thoroughly explored most of the features and feel like I'm knowledgable enough now to move on.

I was considering the Nikon D7000 now since it's a very reasonable price for me.

Also, to those of you that have made the jump from DX to FX when did you do it and how do you like it? First of all, FX seems very pricey to me right now. More than $1000 more than the most expensive lens I've purchased. For me, photography is a serious hobby. Many times if I am going to touristy areas I'll pack my camera and maybe one extra lens with me and it's not tedious to carry around. Sometimes I will designate a night to just go out with my gear and take pictures though. I guess essentially my concern is that FX is "only for professionals" or that maybe it's overkill for me...

Nothing is "Only for Professionals" and heck Canons current top line 1D camera body is a 1.3 crop sensor rather than fullframe.

My view is that each person makes their own choices as to how much and how far they can put into this or any kind of hobby - for some they can't justify or/nor afford the price; others can. I say take it as far as you can do so without bringing financial suffering on those dependant upon yourself.

So that part aside what and when to upgrade; my first point is to sit down and work out what technically speaking is weakest in your current setup; what photos are you honestly missing or getting at poorer quality because of properties of the gear you use and not your own mistakes/inexperience.
Next identify the types of situation and subjects that you often find yourself enjoying working with; but also pay a mind to listing out the subjects you want to work with; which might be impossible or very hard to work with with the gear you have. Also look to inspiration within your interest areas - are there types of shot you want that you just can't get.

All this serves to put your criteria on the table; with that done you've got something to sift through the various replies and opinions and to have a better understanding of what you want rather than just what other people want and suggest.

That said my advice is thus.

1) If you are keen to make the change to FX make is sooner rather than later; this stands for all changes in format size as there is no point in building a gear around crop sensor and then jumping up to FX as you'll find that you'll need to change some lenses and that others won't frame things as you are used to. So if FX is the dream/intention/best option for your criteria then go for it sooner.

2) Lenses - where the above rule isn't a factor then the next best is glass. Good quality optics give bigger gains in image quality will in camera body changes. In addition new lenses can open up new doors and areas for shooting.

3) Lighting - kind of hand in hand with lenses good lighting is critical to good photos and many times will make or break a shot. It need not be complicated, but must be sufficient for your needs, your situations and your overall creativity.

I enjoy my D7000 but I'm looking forward to a FF one day too. The most glaring reason is when I set the 70-200 to say.... "85-135mm" to take a full body pic I about can't frame it in my back yard its so long with the crop factor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back